Chapter 44

It repeated for the hundredth time: the hissing whisper, the strange words which never seemed to make sense to Copper.

"The boy had won four games in a row...When I heard the lads' ridiculous plan to play snap-dragon, I thought the situation couldn't be more perfect! He went up in flames like a torch."

Tossing restlessly in bed, Copernicus found his dreams carrying him into the deep darkness of a cavern. Though pitch black, it wasn't a cold, wet cave; it was boiling hot. As the lad moved forward, he heard something rumbling like a giant creature breathing heavily. He had no doubt in his mind, he had entered the dragon's lair.

As if bound by some awful spell, the boy kept moving forward until he was seized by the terrifying sense that he wasn't alone. The breathing had grown louder, something in the darkness moved. Two eyes opened, shining like embers.

The first thing Copper felt was terror. He wanted to turn on his heels and run away. But he couldn't. He was powerless, motionless. All he could do was stand and stare back at those burning eyes.

"Come little child," the dragon breathed in a familiar voice. "Don't be afraid. Come a little closer to me." The dragon promised that he wasn't like other serpents who killed and devoured their guests. He would be the boy's protector, his guardian. If only the lad would come just a little closer to him. But as Copernicus took a few more involuntary steps toward the devilish creature, he saw those fiery eyes flash with ravenous delight, and he knew what his fate would be.

"You're a liar!" Copper quavered.

The fiend smiled, as if to say, "What did you expect?". Then, so close that the boy could feel his scorching breath, the creature whispered, "What a fool you were to play with the dragon. You gave yourself to me. Now, I have every right to kill you!"

As the dragon suddenly opened his iron jaws and lunged to sink his teeth into his victim, Copernicus woke with a little cry and jerked himself upright in bed. He stared, wide-eyed, into the shadowy room. His heart was still pounding, he still felt burning hot, he still heard the resonating sound of heavy breathing nearby. But it was only the sound of Jasper's big, gentle dog who had fallen asleep on the bed beside the lad, and the heat was caused from the fire in his room burning vivaciously.

Feeling shaky from fear, Copernicus shuddered and pressed himself closer to the dog's warm body.

"There's no such thing as dragons, Millie," he whispered to the sleeping animal. "Least, there ain't no more." But how could he shake away his fear? How could he get Mordechai's voice out of his mind? What could the man have meant by "snap-dragon"?

There was nothing for it, Copernicus couldn't go back to sleep. He lay awake for a long while, too afraid even to close his eyes. Then, at last, he cast his hot blankets off and grabbed his dressing robe, yearning for a breath of fresh air and something to comfort him.

If I walk about for a while, maybe I'll feel a bit better, he told himself. It was exactly the notion he had had on that night when he had heard Mordechai and Ebony talking so strangely about the dragon. He couldn't help thinking of it ever more as he crept from his room and started walking cautiously down the hall.

I dunno why Father was so angry with me that night, he pondered. He —was— angry. I could tell, even though he said he wasn't. And could he doubt that the man had tried to kill him at least once afterward? Everything had changed in Mordechai's demeanor after that odd night.

The creaking sound of wood made Copper freeze and turn rigid. Had that been a footstep? He shook his head and tried to dismiss his fear. No, of course it wasn't. Nobody'd be awake at this hour. I don't think it's even five o'clock yet!