Chapter 20

Copernicus had just begun to get used to his wild family when little Porgy came along. Until then, Copper had been the center of Mordechai's attention, and there was no question about it, the lad's heart was knit to his adopted father with the deepest feeling of thankfulness and trust. It had been a wonderful time for him. But his unchallenged right to his father's time was shaken the minute Porgy walked through the door.

"Meet your new brother!" their father announced, presenting a shabby boy who was about Copper's age.

All the other children swarmed the newcomer. Copernicus ran along with the rest of them, quite happy to greet the lad.

"Hullo, what's your name?" he asked, shouting happily above the din of his brothers' excited voices. There was no answer. Porgy stared at him and the others like a frightened creature beset by wild dogs. There was no joyful surprise or even a trace of friendliness on his face.

Mordechai quickly came to his rescue. "The lad's name is George," he exclaimed cheerily. "Porgy, for short. I am certain you boys and he shall be the greatest of chums soon!" After introductions, he swept the child away with his usual charming manner and took Porgy upstairs to his own room. Copper didn't see his father again for hours. When the man finally emerged, he kept the traumatized Porgy close beside him, giving all his attention and affection to the newcomer.

A twinge of jealousy touched Copper's heart. He and his brothers watched George critically. Whispers started circling among them.

"He didn't even say hello," Copernicus complained, plopping down on a threadbare sofa between Mose and Gibbs.

"If ya asks me," Mose muttered back, "he's a glumpish blighter!"

"A glumpish, gumptious blighter!" Gibbs grunted in agreement.

"I'd say he's even a grumpish blighter!" Copernicus put in moodily. His chiming complaint made Gibbs send him a sideways glance and a smile of approval.

"Wanna bet, the grubby mite'll back slang it an' run away afore dusk tomorrow?" Gibbs asked in fun.

"Bet he will!" Mose agreed, more for the sake of keeping peace with his brother than anything.

"Bet he won't," Copper stated obstinately.

"What?" Gibbs eyed him in frustration. He wasn't used to younger boys contradicting him or fighting him. But, oddly, he liked Copernicus better and better because of his pluck.

Copper flashed a wink at the haughty youth. "He's got a stomach, and we've got good food! Under the circumstances, I'm bettin' he'll stay right here!" He laughed victoriously as he drew smiles from both of the boys. Gibbs gave him a playful jab with his elbow, and somehow, Copernicus felt sure he had meant it kindly. From then on, there was a silent, hardly noticeable friendship built between them, and all because they had a common dislike for this sulky newcomer.

Their harsh judgement of Porgy didn't seem unjust. There the boy sat, as glumpish, gumptious and grumpish as any pouty child could be. Mordechai was trying to please him with a marvelous magic card trick. But Porgy stayed stormy and silent, glaring at the world uneasily.

After a while, Copernicus grew tired of the racket and the rowdy games his brothers played. All he really wanted was a quiet corner to retreat to and the smooth, reassuring voice of his guardian. Finally, he crept to his father's side and sat down at his feet, feeling neglected and forgotten. He saw the man cast him a smile, and the boy received it like a starving dog catching a crumb from his master. But Mordechai's attention went straight back to Porgy.