Chapter 42

Charlie was beaming. He rode the omnibus like a hero charging out to battle. His ears were still ringing with the voices of praise he had heard earlier that day.

"A double sovereign!" his mother had cried, ecstatic, as she had taken the coin from Charlie's hand.

"There's a good lad!" Henry had laughed, giving his son a hearty whack on the back. Charlie had been hugged and kissed from all sides. Then he had set out early on his way to Whitechapel.

Charlie hadn't exactly told his parents where he was going. Let's be honest, he hadn't even told them that he had quit his job. That alone was a shadow over his joy. But how could he confess? He would never find Copernicus if he had to go straight back to work at the bakery. And if he could find Hugo Webb and bring him to justice, Blair might make him a wealthy man. That would make up for everything. His parents wouldn't mind that he had quit his job at The Pearl as long as he became rich because of it.

The omnibus stopped at the edge of Whitechapel, and from there he marched into the more ragged part of town. This time, he went very carefully, eyeing every shady-looking character with caution.

Really, this might be the stupidest, most ill-thought-out plan you have ever conjured! he thought nervously. What if the lout is an evil, looney, detestable scoundrel? Of course, he did save my life! The boy considered. That's something. But that might have been a momentary lull in his insanity.

Despite his apprehensions, Charlie walked on until he turned down the familiar street and walked toward the place where the coffee stall had sat. But a shocking change had come over the place. He stopped and looked on in confusion. There was no coffee stall to be seen.

Oh, dash it all! I'm too late! he thought in dismay. The fellow must have moved his stall or quit the business entirely.

How would he ever find Copernicus now? How would he help Blair? How would he become rich? His crashing hopes were buoyed back up as he noticed something familiar. It was the sweet aroma of coffee—the best coffee he had ever smelled or tasted. The scent was wafting out of an open door which belonged to a little shop. It's sparkling clean windows and its polished knob made the building stand out among the rest of the dingy storefronts. And above the door, there was a sign which read, in elegant letters, "Bob's Bit O' Everything". Surely that delicious smell could only come from the rich brew that the coffee-stall keeper made.

Drawn by thirst, and enticed by the aroma, Charlie hurried forward and came close to the shop's door. To his surprise, a chime of childish voices greeted him in wild excitement.

"A customer!" a lad shouted.

"'Ullo Chum!" another cried.

"Want a shoe shine?"

"Need a shave?"

"A cup o' coffee?"

"'Ave some tea!"

In an instant, Charlie had been thronged by a crowd of boys. It all happened so fast that he didn't know what to do. Hands seized him from all directions. He was pulled inside, and whether he wanted it or not, he was eagerly pushed down into a seat. An ambitious lad started shining his shoes while the other ten boys continued to offer their services and products to their customer.

Stunned, bewildered, Charlie soon found himself with a cup of coffee in his hand, a fancy silk flower thrust into his jacket's buttonhole, a new hat on his head, and the shiniest shoes he had ever seen.