TEN

the month of may came and went, and finally, june arrived, along with the last day of school. ahyoung was ecstatic, happy to spend her summer working at the cafe and dancing and singing every single day. and given jaemin's recent behavior, there hadn't been any major obstacles preventing ahyoung from doing what she loved, allowing her to produce better and better covers each time.

that isn't to say may was the easiest month ever. ahyoung, along with jeno and occasionally chenle, spent hours and hours studying for their final exams. there were days where they would study in the library together, so absorbed in the content that eventually their eyes were just blankly staring at endless history facts or math equations. thankfully, their hard work paid off, and all three of them received high marks on all of their exams.

and of course, may had been filled with various min-na family dinners, which ahyoung was slowly starting to hate less and less. jaemin had yet to return to his asshole ways, so ahyoung had continued to follow jaehyun's advice, being careful around him but also not criticizing his every move.

"you're up early," ahyoung heard her mother's voice as she walked into the kitchen. "excited for the last day?"

"definitely," ahyoung nodded, pulling out a yogurt and fruit cup from the fridge. "jeno's coming over later, by the way."

"i remember, don't worry," mrs. min smiled. "jiyoung! grab your things, it's time to go to school," her mother called out, walking towards the front door.

"have a good day ji," ahyoung said in between bites as her younger sister came into view.

"mom, something's wrong with ahyoung, why is she being nice?" jiyoung looked up at her mother as she slid her backpack around her shoulders.

mrs. min chuckled. "don't worry jiyoung, i know you love your sister very much, and put your shoes on quickly," their mother smiled. "oh, and ahyoung, don't forget, your dad is coming back tonight. we have something to talk to you about."

"this sounds like i should be mentally preparing myself for an interrogation," ahyoung said cautiously, putting her spoon down. "also i love dad, but how does he have the time to come back so soon?" she asked, recalling her father's return a few weeks ago. he came during one of the weeks where they had dinner with the na's, allowing them to meet for the first time.

"it's nothing serious, don't worry," her mother reassured her. "and your dad will explain why he's back. we'll talk more tonight, okay?"

"got it," ahyoung replied, finishing her breakfast. "see you after school."

"have a good last day!" mrs. min said with a smile, closing the door behind her and jiyoung.

once they were gone, ahyoung started cleaning up her breakfast dishes, making sure to put the plastic lids in the garbage and the cartons in the recycling. when she was done cleaning, she took her time making sure that she had everything she needed before going to school.

today was a half day at school, and it was pretty much just end of the year parties and boring admin stuff in all of ahyoung's classes. so, when she arrived at school, it wasn't much of a surprise to see most students carrying nothing but small bags on their shoulders as they headed into the school building. ahyoung followed similarly, not needing a big bag due to her already cleaning out most of her locker already.

as ahyoung walked up to the school door, she noticed jeno wasn't standing there, likely due to the fact that she was earlier than normal. she headed inside, pulling out her phone to text him that she had already arrived and was on her way to class. she continued to look at her phone while texting, making her way through the crowds of students to go upstairs to her first class.