XXXV

Henry sat across from his aunt, appreciating the warmth of the morning sun as it poured in through the window behind his chair. He only half listened as she rambled on about her charity for destitute women in the city. Of course, he applauded her efforts and motivations, but sometimes the man simply longed for silence. Nevertheless, he adored his aunt, and thus surrendered to the pain of her seemingly endless lecture.

"Tell me, Henry," Edith said, suddenly changing the subject– almost as if she had sensed his diminishing patience. "Do you have departure plans? I'm not hastening you to leave, of course! I'm merely curious is all."

"I have actually been meaning to discuss this with you, Aunt..." Henry said, shifting in his seat as he contemplated his words. "You see, I forgot how much I enjoyed the city... I have decided that I shall remain here for the time being. I've written to my partner in Concord who says that he can manage on his own since he's been planning on acquiring an apprentice anyway."

Henry paused for a moment, "I will be reopening my practice here. And I have already found an apartment just down the road."

"Why, Henry! That is fantastic news!" Edith exclaimed emphatically as tears rose to her eyes. "I cannot tell you how pleased I am to have you back in the city."

"Yes, I find that I have missed being near you, Aunt. Besides, the bustle of a city tends to keep the mind occupied," he said with a half chuckle.

"Well, you may stay as long as you need, dear boy. There is plenty of room for you here. Besides, it is nice to have a full house once more."

"Is your companion's company not enough?" Henry asked casually before taking a sip of his tea.

"Oh, no. Cora is sufficient company! I adore the girl! She has learned so much since her time here. She is much improved, truly."

"Improved?" Henry asked curiously.

"Well, yes... When she arrived, she was a poorly little girl. I mean, she was twenty, but she was mere skin and bones! Dear thing."

"Why's that?" Henry asked as he placed his cup down on the coffee table.

"Well, her family was rather impoverished down south. Her father died in the accident that injured her brother. The shock of it was too much for their dear mother and she became too ill to work. All the responsibility was left to Cora. That is when Cousin Benjamin wrote, pleading for me to take on the girl."

"And that is all you know of her past?"

"I suppose so. Cora has described her childhood, but only in the most basic sense... She is a rather shy girl, really. Quite reserved– but a fantastic listener! Exceedingly clever, she is... just like her brother."

Henry simply nodded in response. He had gathered the intelligence he had been seeking about his aunt's mysterious young companion.

Sometimes he caught himself staring at her. He could not help it, of course. He could see that something haunted the young girl. Something followed in her wake, making her paranoid and anxious. She was also rather beautiful– in a plain way. Henry tried not to study her, but he could not fight the magnetic pull that lured his eyes towards her as she often sat in the corner of the drawing room— focused intently, yet absently, on her needlework.

Henry wanted to know the thoughts that riddled the young companion's brain, leaving her silent before others, not daring to reveal too much of her own mind.

"The new maid is here," Wills' voice from the archway brought Henry's attention back to the present moment.

"The new maid?" Edith asked.

"Yes, ma'am, Magdalina Ivanova."

"Ah, yes! Magdalina! Please, show her to her room, Wills. I believe she is to occupy Hunter's old room."

Wills bowed and quietly exited, leaving Edith and Henry alone once again.

Edith resumed her ramblings about the destitute women, but Henry once more allowed his thoughts to wander... finding their way back to the young companion.