XXXIII

Cora suddenly found herself frantically occupied with preparations for Henry's visit.

Edith had a new energy about herself. She woke earlier, bustling around the house more often than she ever had. She assisted Cora with the preparations, often remarking how she wished that Susan could have been there to help. Thankfully, Cora found herself too busy to bother with such melancholy thoughts. She had even found herself too busy to spare time for Richard.

They would briefly pass one another in the hall, or the main kitchen, but neither had the leisure to stop for a chat. Cora worried it appeared as though she was avoiding him. She knew in her heart she had made the right decision by rejecting him.

Yet a small part of her mind– no, her heart– made her fear that she could now lose Richard. She truly did love him, but only as a brother. When he touched her hand or offered a warm embrace, Cora's stomach did not cave. Her palms did not grow clammy, her cheeks did not blush, and her speech did not stutter. She assumed that meant that she did not romantically love Richard.

She had entertained thoughts of kissing him but could just not picture the scene clearly. Frankly, she had even imagined him unclothed, yet the image did not stir in her the same feelings she had felt toward Elwood or Elijah. So, Cora maintained her confidence in her response to Richard's confession. Now, she could only hope and pray he would not abandon her as a friend.

On a cloudy, July afternoon, a knock echoed through the front door.

Edith looked up from her needlework and directly at Cora who sat across from her. A shining smile spread across Edith's face as she stood with excitement.

"That must be him!"

Cora had never seen the old woman act in such a young way. She found it refreshing.

"Come, Cora. I would like you to stand beside me as we greet him."

The old woman did not wait for Cora's consent, but instead reached for the girl's hand, gently pulling her from the chair. The women stood in the drawing room silently, listening as Mr. Wills welcomed Henry. Edith folded her hands over her skirt, appearing calm. Cora, however, could feel the anticipation radiating off the old woman as she stared towards the archway into the hall.

After several minutes of shuffling and deep voices conversing with one another, a figure emerged in the archway.

A man of average height appeared before the two women. He was rather thin, practically swimming in his tweed suit. The gauntness of his face was masked by a thick, but neatly trimmed dark brown beard that matched the color of his neatly gelled and combed hair. He had large, light brown eyes, canopied by long eyelashes that fluttered as he blinked. A smile spread across the man's face, revealing straight white teeth– straighter than Cora had ever seen. His smile scrunched his nose which exactly resembled Edith's: strong, prominent, and Greek.

"Hello, Aunt," he said in a smooth, deep voice.

His accent was northern, but plainer than others' in the city.

"Hello, dear boy," Edith responded, approaching him with her arms wide open.

The two embraced, and Cora stood awkwardly in her place. As Henry's chin rested on his aunt's shoulder, his gaze met Cora's. His brow quickly furrowed then returned to normal– as if he had been momentarily confused by Cora's presence.

"How was your journey?" Edith asked, holding the man's hands.

"Quite long," he responded plainly.

His glance kept traveling back to Cora, as if she were a strange object he needed to study.