LIX

Henry, Lee, and William returned the following day just before noon. Elwood, of course, had long since departed, sneaking out of the back just as the sun kissed the horizon.

This was how life continued for the next week: with a delicious amount of deceit. Cora would have breakfast with her family in the morning, then wait for them to leave and carry on with their daily adventures. Once alone, she would find her way to Elwood, sometimes at the lake, sometimes deep in the woods, and sometimes at the home her husband rented.

Sometimes, Cora did not even have to lie. She could tell Henry she would be with Elwood, for it had been his idea to invite the man. But she rationed her announced visits with Elwood, especially since she could not allow Lee to catch on to her scheme. It was a blissful week overall and the lying did not bother Cora. Even when it did, the tingle of Elwood's lips against the soft skin of her hand washed away any sensation of guilt or anxiety. All that remained was love and pleasure.

Cora no longer brooded around the house, nor slept late, nor pushed her food around on her plate as though she had no interest. Now she sauntered around, glowing like a young woman who had fallen in love for the first time.

Henry noticed this change, and he reveled in it, thinking himself responsible.

He sat in the parlor, fanning himself with a pamphlet. The June heat had become overbearing, but Henry was still thankful to have the fresh country air breezing in through the windows as opposed to the heavy city air that would cling to his skin, dragging him down. As he lounged in the chair, he reflected on his wife's behavior. His plan had worked, as he knew it would. All Cora needed was a friend.

Henry knew her well enough to understand that she did not enjoy the company of the city women. His friends' wives were stuck up, and often patronized Cora, making comments on her accent and upbringing. Someone he knew would not make those comments was Lewis Elinwood. Who better to provide his wife ample company than someone with a similar background? Someone who Henry liked himself, someone who was wealthy and could even become an important asset to the charity one day...

Cora's mood had changed considerably following Lewis's arrival, and that thoroughly pleased Henry. He had provided his wife with a companion, someone who kept her from going back to New York. The change in her mood improved their own relationship as well. Though she shied away from any intimacy, she laid beside him each night, eager to hear about his day– that was all Henry needed. He was glad just to be her friend again, and for her to meet his gaze with warmth instead of the contempt she had displayed before. The rockiness of their marriage seemed to flutter away from Henry's mind when he laid beside her each night. He figured that most marriages were like this, experiencing periods of minor conflict, needing only a change in routine. He understood that marriage was never going to be easy, and if he had to struggle with anyone by his side, he was grateful that it was Cora.

Several nights in the past week, Henry had even invited Lewis Elinwood to dinner. These nights were Henry's favorites. Though he had spent most of his life hiding from the company of others, he now found himself enjoying large dinner parties. Henry was pleased that everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. What Henry had failed to observe was the scowl on Lee's face each time he had to share a table with Lewis Elinwood. Henry failed to notice how Lee's eye twitched with anger, and how his knuckles turned white around the handle of his knife.

Henry's naivety clouded his vision from the despair on Scarlet's face as she glanced between Cora and Lewis Elinwood, each exchanging enticing gazes with one another. Henry did not notice these small details, but perhaps that was because he could only see the joy on the faces of his wife and son.

During these dinners, Henry found himself building a strong friendship with Lewis Elinwood. He was a clever and charming man, knowledgeable about business, and quite funny as well. Henry wondered how the handsome Mr. Elinwood had remained unmarried for so long with such great characteristics and a sizable fortune to his name. Henry figured that Elinwood was either a womanizer or preferred the company of men. Henry, however, had never heard of Lewis Elinwood being an overactive bachelor– and such things always made their rounds in society gossip. So, Henry's mind settled on the other option. It made sense, really. Henry had not observed a moment of flirtation between Lewis and the women, but often saw him casting strange glances towards Lee who appeared uncomfortable at times.