XI

The air inside the church was not unbearably hot. In fact, the June weather had blessed Mount Baylin folks with a bright sun, cool breeze, and clear sky. Despite her physical comfort and contentment, Cora found her mind helplessly wandering as Minister Reed droned on about charity and generosity. She could not help but look over to the affluent families who sat segregated in the front rows, dressed in their exquisite silks and grotesquely feathered hats. Meanwhile, behind them sat rows of Mount Baylin's impoverished townsfolk, dressed in shabby cotton clothes that hung on the weather-beaten skin of the farmers and laborers. The mill workers' skin showed little wear and tear; their cotton muffled coughs often gave their occupation away. Of course, neither Minister Reed nor the wealthy families of Mount Baylin would ever care to observe the alarming difference in the church crowd. Instead, the families up front– dressed to the nines– sat contently as Reed rambled on about Jesus conjuring food for the poor.

Cora's eyelids grew heavy as she watched her feet swing, occasionally brushing against the cracked wooden boards beneath her. The steady and rhythmic motion put her to sleep as she became oblivious of her surrounding environment. Her eyes widened with the startling realization that Elwood must have been in the same room as her. She slowly leaned forward, looking to her left in search of her friend's gaze. Cora hoped to lock eyes with him and signal to meet outside so they could retreat to the lake. But when Cora glanced over towards Elwood's vicinity, her eyes fell upon an empty spot. Curious of his whereabouts, Cora snuck out the back door, imagining that he was already waiting for her on the side of the building. 

Cora approached the corner, slowing at the noise of muffled movement. At first it was the sound of feet shuffling in the grass, as if someone was stomping and sliding around. She froze, listening intently. Cora heard a thud against the side of the building, like someone's body colliding with the wooden paneling. She heard a few sighs, a grunt, and then a giggle. Cora knew immediately that the heinous laugh belonged to Birdie Call. She assumed that Birdie must have been fooling around with Elijah in the middle of the service. Now that he was back in town, surely Birdie was marking her territory.

Cora laughed to herself, confident this would make for an amusing story to tell Elwood. 

Crouched down just before the turn of the corner, Cora covered her mouth, desperately attempting not to cackle at the disturbing audibility of the lovers' interaction. She heard Birdie's elegant dress sweep across the wooden planks, ruffling around between Elijah's legs.  Cora's amusement astounded herself. Her hand fiercely clung to her mouth as she bent over shaking with laughter. She could only imagine an older church woman like Mrs. Forrester stumbling upon the scene and practically dying from the scandal of it. Birdie would then be the subject of all of Mount Baylin's gossip. Her mother would finally have to shut her own mouth. 

Cora shook violently with amusement, but suddenly lost control of her footing. Within seconds Cora gasped, falling forward and landing on her hands and knees. Her exposed head shot up to see Birdie pushed against the wall, dress up to her hips, and arms around Elwood. 

Cora choked on her laughter-- her hands gripping the grass below her as she watched Elwood's lips tangle with Birdie's, his hand slowly rubbing her exposed thigh. Cora felt her face grow hot, and her knuckles turn white, as tears obscured her vision. The pair stopped abruptly, looking down at Cora who watched from the ground in horror. Birdie giggled, wrapping her leg tighter around Elwood's hip, forcing her hand towards his belt, and making direct eye contact with Cora. Before she had to witness any more, Cora scrambled back towards the church door, wiping the dirt off her dress. She took a deep breath and held it as she snuck back into her pew next to Lee. She carefully wiped away a tear that rolled down her burning cheek, making sure no one witnessed her state of anguish. Her heart thumped chaotically inside her chest as she refused to let out her deeply inhaled breath. Maybe if she kept holding it, she would conveniently die. Instinct, however, forced Cora to let it out shakily, encouraging Lee to glance over with suspicion. She glanced back at him, presenting an obviously fake smile. Lee shrugged, too busy thinking about Scarlet to really care.