Part 4 - Broken

Keefe watched her duck again.

Watched her eyes grow with guilt.

Watched her clutch her head in pain, and fall to the ground.

And all thoughts of murder left him like air out of a balloon.

"Sophie?! Are you okay?!" he asked, shaking her. He watched the battle around him stop. Watched weapons fall to the ground.

All eyes were on Lodestar and the Moonlark.

The Moon and the Star. How ironic.

Sophie was unresponsive, her face blank. Keefe yanked off her mask, and she sat there unblinking, her eyes lost in another dimension. Her unique brown eyes, with gold flecks making them glow.

Her eyes that would never lock on something again.

Thanks to him.

Thanks to him, Sophie's mind was broken.

His soulmate's mind was broken.

***

Sophie felt like her mind was closing in on her.

She tried to get out, to reach the surface. But another layer fell down on top of her. She felt herself crumble.

Guilt.

That was what it was, the layer that kept falling on her.

She had killed his mom.

Her soulmate's mom. She had killed her, mercilessly. That was all she was, a killing machine. A monster, designed to aim, shoot, and end. End life. Still, she tried to open her eyes, to get out of her mind.

It was like a wall, and she'd climb, climb, climb. And then 'boom!', a wave of guilt, and she'd start all over.

And then, just like three words brought her into this mess, three words propelled her out.

"Sophie, wake up! It's Keefe. I forgive you."

"I forgive you!" That was all it took. She pushed, and pushed, and pushed her legs forward.

And her eyes shot open.

To meet ice blue ones.

A/N: Seee? I'm nice sometimes. Ish. 🙃