⸻ 𝐌𝐎𝐓𝐈𝐕𝐄 & 𝐌𝐔𝐑𝐃𝐄𝐑

We'll keep you safe.

Sulli's mind wandered as they jabbed forward with their foil fencing blade, narrowly avoiding slipping on their narrowly placed steps. They were sparring against one of the other club members, Rowan. He was two years into his schooling now, and already well-experienced in how the fencing worked in the club. They often held mini-tournaments at least once a week where each of the players would advance after winning their round.

We'll keep you safe.

Sulli parries the next blow, scurrying back a couple of steps to recompose their defense. The foil felt more technical at times, because of the smaller target area, but it also was a smaller area to defend. Not to mention, it was the lightest blade to use in fencing. It was fortunate enough that Cork's team had recently become co-ed, stopping Sulli from feeling outcasted by one of the only things that had kept them going in the States.

We'll keep you safe.

It was still hard to be on the fencing team back at their high school, but it was a way to be away from home. Drawing and cosplay were their other escapes, but Sulli didn't trust enough in the economy to completely commit to an art career, so they did the next best thing.

We'll keep you safe.

They'd started listening to crime stories around the same time their parents told them about the divorce. There's probably some correlation there, but Sulli refuses to look too much into it. They listened to true crime often and found deep fascination in cold cases and the technological advancements in crime fighting. They'd always been good at figuring out puzzles, at analyzing a situation, and putting the pieces together, so why not?

We'll keep you safe.

Sulli parried again, taking another step back as Rowan advanced on them. Another moment, and they felt the prod against their torso, and their opponent stepped back, removing their mask. Sulli sighed to themselves, doing the same before setting aside their fencer and shaking their hand. Rowan's grin was wide as he reached for theirs, shaking it once. "Well, you seemed distracted today, Sulli."

"Do I?"

"It's good for me too, it's been a while since I've beat you." Rowan set aside his own equipment before running a hand through his hair. "What are you thinking about anyway?"

Their hands hover over their mask for a second, before picking it up and putting it away. "Nothing. Just something one of my friends said."

Friend.

Rowan raised his eyebrow, "You have friends?"

"You're hilarious, Rowan."

Rowan laughed again, and Sulli ignored the sensitive pricks in their heart at the comment. Rowan of course didn't mean it, so they shouldn't take it to heart. They shake their head, rubbing their shoulder before stretching their arms above their head. Distantly, the register Rowan's eyes on them, staring for a beat longer than he should have. "Do you want to go grab dinner, Sulli?"

Dinner?

"Dinner?" Sulli repeats, looking back at him, "Right now? It's almost already dark."

"Don't tell me you're scared of the dark, Sulls." Rowan's grin is back in full force, but his voice is lighthearted as he reaches over to pat their arm, "C'mon, I'll protect you, I'm very capable." He pulled his hands back, stripping off the rest of his guard, "We have to walk back to our dorms anyway, so we can wait a little bit longer."