10 - Panic attack - EO

Name: Lucy Avaline Arnett
Age: 16

Parents: Elizabeth Olsen & Robbie Arnett
Siblings: none

Plot summary: Lucy has a panic attack because she is being bullied at chook and can't take it anymore

Hope you like it! <3

1335 Words :) (not spellchecked again, sorry loves <3; I feel like this is standard)

TW: small mentioning of bulling

_______
_._._._._

I stand in the center of my room, the walls closing in around me. My breaths grow shallow, and my heart thumps wildly against my chest. The air feels thick, pressing down on me, suffocating.

It begins as a whisper, a gnawing unease festering in the pit of my stomach. Then, it transforms into an overwhelming storm, raging through my mind. Chaotic thoughts collide, overwhelming me in waves.

My fingers tremble, tingling with a strange numbness. I clutch my chest, trying to anchor my heart. The room shrinks, suffocating me.

"Stop. Stop," I plead with myself, but the words dissolve into the chaos. Panic tightens its grip, squeezing my chest, making each breath harder.

Before I can even move, the door creaks open, and my mom enters, her eyes wide with concern. "Lucy, sweetheart, what's wrong?" Her voice carries a blend of worry and care.

I try to respond, but the words stick in my throat. Tears well up in my eyes as I struggle to make sense of the tempest inside me.

Mom rushes to my side, her presence a comforting embrace. "Breathe with me, honey. In and out, slowly," she instructs, her voice a lifeline in the whirlwind of emotions.

Her calm guidance steadies me. We synchronize our breaths, hers a soothing rhythm that begins to align with my frantic gasps. With each measured inhale and exhale, the storm within me starts to wane, the chaos receding like a dissipating fog.

Minutes stretch out, but gradually, the relentless panic begins to fade. My heart's racing pace slows, and the weight on my chest lessens. Mom sits beside me, her hand gently resting on my back, a comforting gesture amid the storm that's now subsiding. She perched beside me, and as she brushed my hair gently, I felt a lump form in my throat.

"Everything okay, sweetie? What made you panic" Her voice was soft, laced with concern.

Tears welled up again, betraying the facade I'd wanted to maintain. "Mom, I... I've been having a really hard time at school."

Her hand paused for a moment, and then she drew me closer, wrapping me in her arms. "Oh, Lucy, you can tell me anything. What's been going on?"

Words spilled out, the pain of being taunted and feeling alone finally finding a voice. The bullying had taken a toll today. Mom's embrace grew tighter, offering the warmth and comfort I desperately needed. "I didn't want to worry you," I managed to say between sobs.

Her response was a whisper against my ear, "Sweetheart, you're never a burden. I'm here for you, always. What do you feel like doing? I could talk to teachers or the principal if you want. Although I know that's not always the solution."

I sniffled, feeling the remnants of tears drying on my cheeks. Mom's gentle touch was a balm to my soul. "Mom, do you think... maybe I should homeschool?"

She paused, letting my words sink in. "Homeschooling? It's an option, but I want you to do what feels right for you. What makes you think about that?"