Chapter 5

“Don’t fear the darkness ahead, little lamb, for you are already in the monster's grasp.”

LUKE

She doesn’t snore. She’s restless. Tossing this way and that. The sheets are twisted across her torso and legs. Light pink buds peak on her bare breasts, and her simple cotton underwear skim her heart-shaped ass.

I swept through her life or (lack thereof) in a matter of hours. No friends or current boyfriend. Five measly phone calls to her father in the last year. Incoming and outgoing work related calls and one call to her “uncle Ray” who just so happens to be the son of a bitch who hand delivered me to Mortalcine. So many questions and no definitive answers.

The chair creeks when I rise. She stirs but doesn’t wake. It’s been a measly couple of weeks since I’ve been out and I’ve already gained back forty pounds. Another piece of proof the conditions they have subjected me to were torturous. I can give partial blame to the jaded woman before me.

Over the past weeks, I’ve learned a lot about Avery. She’s skittish but pretends not to be. She’s constantly Horney and feels guilty about it. She shoves anxiety pills down her throat when she’s in deep thought and her life is lonely and empty.

But answers to any of my questions, no.

not a one.

As I stand over her, the smell of strawberries makes me enraged, and a growl escapes me. I’ve made all the necessary arrangements. I’ll take her tonight. Oliver will be back soon with more information, but I’ve waited long enough. I brush her hair back while I whisper her name. Her eyebrows scrunch, but she’s still not awake. With her restlessness, I have no clue how she still manages to sleep like the dead. My hands graze across her breasts the way I’ve been wanting to, a moan is her only reaction. My length instantly becomes rigid.

I grasp her wrists and slam them above her head. I’m angry now, more at myself for my reaction. This rouses her and her mouth opens on a soundless scream. My hand covers the petal soft skin before she can react. Effortlessly, I pull her back to the front of my body. My hard-on coincidently grinds between her cheeks and she whimpers fearfully in my grasp. I have to command her to breathe.

“Listen closely because repeating myself will only make me angry. You don’t want to make me angry, do you, Avery?”

I feel her body stiffen at the use of her name, but she moves her head from side to side in answer.

“Good. That’s a smart girl. Now don’t get brave because that would be stupid, I’m packing more than just muscle... Understand?”

She nods her head, and I ease my grip. As she quickly kicks away from me. I palm my piece in warning.

Her breaths are jagged and quick as she realizes she’s naked from the waist up. Her small hands try to cover her chest but they fail, miserably. Ultimately, she crosses her arms, turning in on herself. Keeping her eyes on the floor she asks,

“What do you want from me?”

I let three years of pent up anger lace my voice. I want her to feel all the raw emotion behind the one paltry word.

“Everything.”

Finally, those grey eyes look up at me. My shades are on, but my scar is visible. I know what she’s going to ask, and I’m dying to tell her. I’m so eager to see the fear it ignites.

“Who are you?”

Stepping into the light, I smile fanatically.

“Luke Val Trien, what’s the matter Mrs. Conway? Don’t recognize me?”