Queer Lodgings and Bear Necessities

It took the better part of the afternoon to climb down the Carrock, for the way was winding and steep. Gandalf led them down a roughly hewn stair, one that, in places, was indistinguishable from the natural shape of the rock. The crafting was old, far older than any Gimli had yet experienced, and it was obvious it was cut for beings far larger than dwarves or elves. Even Gandalf, who stood quite tall without his hat, had to scramble down like a child.

Fíli and Kíli were having the easiest time of it, being young enough to bend, and each in turn helping the other. Nori also seemed to find the trek less daunting and his ease at such acrobatics had Dwalin muttering under his breath. Bombur had it the worst, however, and had to be helped by Dwalin, Dori, and Bofur, as no one else could support his weight properly. The poor dwarf's face was as red as his hair.

Gimli had been tasked with helping Bilbo, but the hobbit was actually making the best time, once he had gotten past a momentary pause at the sheer height of their climb. "Well, if done, then best done quickly," Bilbo had said, and crouched down to take his first step down. Unlike with normal stairs, Bilbo had positioned himself as if to climb upwards, belly to the stone, and was thus able to control his descent while still moving quite quickly. It helped that he did not wear boots, and his toes were much better at grabbing the stone than his iron-shod companions.

As for himself, Gimli had asked Legolas, once, what allowed the elf to play in the branches as he did. Legolas had laughed and said that he trusted the woods and he trusted his body, and that it was when one focused too much on what one was doing that mistakes happened. Gimli had thought about his axe training and could see the logic. He was putting that logic to the test, now, forcing himself to ignore the aches of long use beginning in his muscles, trusting his hands to find rock, and his boots to find purchase, and with a sensation not unlike falling, he followed Bilbo down.

Still, by the time the last Dwarf (Bofur) had made it off the Carrock, the sun had passed to mid-day and the Company was covered in sweat and dust. Bilbo smacked his palms against his jacket, sending up plumes of grit. "Oh, that will never come out," he muttered, and inspected the front of his jacket. His fingers caught and worried at a loose thread where one of his buttons used to be, and Gimli remembered those clever brass buttons of which Bilbo had been so proud.

"Look," Balin said, pointing to the North. "There!"

The stairway turned into a well-worn path that led to a little cave with a pebbly floor. Beyond the cave, the path opened up to a stony jetty in a wide but shallow river. The dwarves headed there with heavy feet and discussed what to do next.

"Our path leads through the Greenwood," Balin said, addressing the group. The fire had singed him a bit around the edges, and the tips of his hair and beard were curled from the heat. "We saw as much from the top of the Carrock. It would take too long to go around it in either direction."

"There is an elf-road that passes through the wood," Thorin said. He was leaning against the cave wall, arms folded and face dark. "It is what we used to flee Erebor all those years ago. We can use it now to reclaim it." He turned to Gandalf, silently asking for his input. It took the wizard a moment to realize the silence, and that he was expected to respond. He seemed to shake himself, and then frowned at the group.

"The road, yes." He cleared his throat. "I had always meant to see you all safe - if possible - over the mountains," he said, "and now by good management and good luck I have done it." He nodded, as if decided, and stood a little taller. "Indeed, we are now a good deal farther east than I ever meant to come with you, for after all this is not my adventure." Gimli's head shot up. No, no, not now. Not this time!

Others murmured their protest as well, and Gandalf held up his hand. "I may look in on it again before it is all over, but in the meanwhile, I have some other pressing business to attend to." He looked meaningfully at Gimli, and he suddenly understood: The Necromancer, Sauron's first attempt to regain control over this world, needed to be dealt with, and quickly. Gimli nodded, but the others were not so calm. Thorin had turned away, anger warring with disappointment on his face, but the Brothers Ri were talking over each other and his Da was demanding answers. Bilbo, Gimli saw, was unsuccessfully trying to hide his tears. Gimli put his arm around the hobbit's shoulders, ignoring the way Thorin's gaze seemed to bore into him, and Bilbo turned into it, just a fraction.