The Siege of the Lake

Legolas ran after Bard, dodging Men and their possessions, spinning around children as they ran by, and once leaping over the strange, squished dogs these Men seemed to favor.

The crowd split before Bard as he moved, clearing the way out of some instinct. For whatever reason, this instinct did not seem to include Legolas, and they closed behind Bard again, leaving Legolas further and further behind. He seemed unaware of the way Legolas danced along behind him and, fed up, Legolas sprang onto one of the pillions that lined the walk. He leaped from one to the next, moving with speed at last, for the way was not unlike the tree-paths of the Greenwood, nor the grove that would become his home in Ithillien.

They were headed for the direct center of town, the highest tower, taller even than the bell-tower: The Master's—well, to call it a house would be incorrect, Legolas thought. It looked little like the houses of men he had known. If he had to, he would say it looked more like the imitation of a palace, of the Citadel of Gondor, then a home, a poor imitation at that. The building was made of wood, like the rest of Laketown, with many levels and overhangs, and while paint and flashing had, at one point, made the building a splendor, time and weather had stripped it nearly bare. Gimli, Legolas thought, would have a word or three to say about "shoddy craftwork, pah! I have done better as an apprentice, let alone a master craftsman. This is what happens when you cut corners."

Rarely could Gimli reach back across their link, and Legolas had accepted as much, so it simply may have been because he was thinking of him that Legolas heard, then, with hauntingly crystal clarity:

I have failed, my love. Be strong! Know I love you!

Gimli! He called back, faltering in his step and nearly falling, but there were no more words.

In his heart, Legolas ached for his love, and reached out frantically across their bond. Gimli was frightened, dreadfully so, But still there, thank all the stars in the sky. He is still there.

Bard had stopped and was looking at him curiously. "Are you alright?" he asked.

"Fine," Legolas said, voice thick. "We're running out of time. The dragon will not be content to stay in the Mountain much longer."

"Aye," Bard agreed. He looked up the building to the tallest tower. There was a balcony, off of what was presumably the Master's bedroom. It would be a good vantage point, or easy access to the roof. "Come," Bard said. "Let us pay a visit to the Master, hmm?"

Legolas nodded, shaking off his unease as best he could, and followed Bard up the steps.

Bard didn't even slow at the door, simply hit it as if he expected to go right through, but he was stopped short when the wood wouldn't budge. Bard shook the door and tried again, ramming at the center with his shoulder.

"He's barred the door," he said. "Barricaded himself in, the fool. Is his gold so important that he'd die for it?" Bard hit the door again. "You can't take it with you, you selfish bastard!"

Legolas looked for another way in. Most houses, he had seen, had a door at the front entry, and a door around the back that led to the water and the privy. The Master, he was sure, would have something similar.

"Around the back," Legolas said, lept up onto the low cover over a front window, and then up onto the lower level roof. In a flash he was over the other side and sliding down towards the water. He let himself fly out, using his momentum to spin and grab the edge of the roof, swinging down onto the lower platform that just skimmed the top of the water. It stank, and Legolas covered his nose with his sleeve and tried the door. It, too, was locked, but one swift kick splintered it open, as it had been barred but not barricaded like the front.