xiv

cw: death

Feet pounded against the floor as seven teens sprinted towards the elevator at the end of the main hallway in the Ministry of Magic. They took it down to the Department of Mysteries, where there was a door and the end of a corridor. Suspense built up as they walked towards it.

Inside were shelves and shelves of dark blue crystal balls. Hadley knew from her conversations with Tonks over the last few weeks that these were prophecies. The Order had been taking shifts guarding Harry's prophecy, which was what Arthur was doing the night he was attacked.

"Harry." Neville was looking at one of the prophecies. "It's got your name on it."

Harry walked over to where Neville was standing. Hesitantly, he reached out and took it. The crystal ball glowed, and Professor Trelawney's voice began to speak: "The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches. And the Dark Lord shall mark him as his equal, but he shall have power the Dark Lord knows not. For neither can live while the other survives."

"Harry!" Hermione suddenly called out. Hadley looked in the direction Hermione was staring and saw someone in a mask approaching them. She pushed Ron and Ginny behind her as Harry stepped in front of them all, his wand outstretched.

"Where's Sirius?" he asked the masked figure.

"You know, you really should learn to tell the difference between dreams..." he took his wand out of a cane and swiped it across his face, removing his mask and revealing himself. It was Lucius Malfoy, Draco's father, "and reality. You saw what the Dark Lord wanted you to see. Now, hand me the prophecy."

"If you do anything to us, I'll break it," Harry threatened.

A woman cackled. "He knows how to play. Itty...bitty...baby...Pottah."

A chill ran down Neville's spine. "Bellatrix Lestrange."

"Neville Longbottom, is it?" Bellatrix asked, smirking. "How's mum and dad?"

"Better now they're about to be avenged!" Neville raised his wand, and so did Bellatrix. Hadley placed her arm out in front of him and pushed him back, shaking her head.

"Now, let's everybody just calm down," Lucius said calmly. "Shall we? All we want is that prophecy."

"Why did Voldemort need me to come and get this?" Harry asked.

Bellatrix gasped, offended. "You dare speak his name?" Her eyes widened. "You filthy half-blood!"

"He's just a curious lad, aren't you?" Lucius asked Harry. "Prophecies can only be retrieved by those about whom they are made. Which is lucky for you, really." He slowly began to approach them, Bellatrix following closely behind. "Haven't you always wondered what was the reason for the connection between you and the Dark Lord? Why he was unable to kill you when you were just an infant? Don't you want to know the secret...of your scar? All the answers are there, Potter, in your hand. All you have to do...is give it to me...and I can show you everything."

Hadley swallowed anxiously when she noticed that they were now surrounded by Death Eaters. She looked behind her at Ron and Ginny. "Stay close to me," she whispered to them.

"I've waited 14 years," Harry said.

Lucius sighed. "I know."

"I guess I can wait a little longer. Now! Stupefy!"

"Stupefy!"

"Stupefy!"

"Stupefy!"

The seven teens cast the stunning charms and made a run for it, using other means of protection as the Death Eaters followed them, cornering them wherever they turned.