xxiv

"Concentrate Hadley!" Remus shouted.

"I'm trying! We've been at this for hours!" Hadley cried. "If...If I could just have a break–"

"You-Know-Who and his Death Eaters don't take breaks." Remus fired a jinx at Hadley, who lunged out of the way to dodge it. She shouted Expelliarmus, but Remus blocked it with a shield and it fired back, knocking her off her feet and onto the floor. Hadley groaned in discouragement and threw her wand down, locking her fingers in her red hair as she blinked back tears. Remus tucked his own wand away and walked up to her, kneeling down beside her. "I know you're frustrated," he said gently, "but you're going up against wizards and witches that have had decades more of experience than you."

"Spare me the lecture, I get enough of those from Mad-Eye." Hadley used the sleeve of her flannel shirt to wipe away a few tears. She hugged her legs to her chest and leaned her forehead on her knees, pulling her quivering bottom lip between her teeth.

She was exhausted. Ever since the Death Eater attack on Christmas, Mad-Eye, Kingsley, Remus, and even Tonks have been pushing her harder than they ever have before with her training. Her body ached. She was frustrated to the point of tears, and she was wondering why she chose this for her career path.

But then she thought about Ron and Ginny. About Fred and George. Her mother and father. Her family would be the biggest target being considered by the blood purists as "blood traitors". She felt a responsibility to protect them. They were the most important people in the world to her, and she didn't know what she'd do with herself if she lost any of them.

Remus sighed. "I'm not going to lecture you." He reached a hand out to help Hadley up when she lifted her head to look at him. She took it, and he pulled her up from the floor. "Perhaps you're right. You've worked hard today. We'll leave it here for the night."

Hadley went downstairs to the kitchen. Her older brother, Bill, and his fiancé, Fleur Delacour, had arrived earlier that day and were in there when she came in.

"Eez everyzing alright, Hadley?" Fleur asked, frowning.

Hadley nodded. She wiped away a tear that fell when she blinked. She made her way to the pantry and took out the bread and peanut butter. She took the jam from the fridge and flicked her wand, watching as a butter knife flew out of the silverware drawer and began to spread the peanut butter and jam onto the bread.

"Rough day?" Bill asked.

"Yeah," Hadley mumbled, nodding again. She sighed and hugged Bill when he placed a gentle hand on her back, shutting her eyes tight. "It...It's all just really hard," she said, her voice breaking.

"But eet'll be worth it, zo." Fleur smiled softly at Hadley when she opened her eyes to look at her. "You're a great witch, Hadley."

Hadley smiled a little. She took her PB&J off the counter and took it over to the table, sitting down across from the blonde.

"She's right, you know." Bill sat down next to his younger sister. "When you were younger, I never would've guessed that you'd be an Auror-in-training with how much trouble you got yourself into with Fred and George."

Hadley chuckled softly. When she finished her sandwich, she went upstairs to her room, where Tonks was waiting for her. She could tell that Hadley had a long day, so she suggested a warm bubble bath instead of asking her about her training session with Remus.

Hadley sighed contently as she relaxed in the water in between her girlfriend's legs, her head leaned back against her shoulder. Tonks's arms were wrapped around her waist, her fingertips lightly drawing patterns on her thigh. She pressed her lips softly to her shoulder.

After a while, Hadley's eyelids began to grow heavy, and the water got cold. They got out, dried off, and put on their pajamas. She fell asleep almost instantly when her head touched the pillow, drifting off into a deep sleep as images of Death Eater fights flashed in her mind.

─── ⋆·✧·⋆ ───

a/n

i hate this 🥰

i posted a luna story earlier this morning and i'm gonna get the first chapter posted later this weekend, so go check it out if you're interested and add it to your library so you don't miss anything!!