Le retour de Descamps

The two hours of detention sucked. I tried hard to stay focused and use these hours to get ahead with my studying, but the incident with Jean Pierre takes up all the space in my mind. I drop my pen on the desk, and Giroud looks up from her register, staring at me through her glasses.

"Is something wrong Seyedoux?" she asks me, crossing her arms on the desk, watching me curiously. I look up and remain silent for a few moments, restraining myself from telling her everything that is going through my mind. "I'm fine Professor." I reply politely, turning back to my science book.

I don't understand a damn thing about these chemistry exercises, I hope Pichon's method will enlighten my mind; the test is next week and I can't afford to get low grades from now on. Giroud sighs and leans back over her register, jotting down grades and notes. We remain silent for a very long time, and I can barely do a chemistry exercise.

I look for the result in the book with my index finger, and as soon as I discover that my result is wrong, I hit my forehead hard. I squint my eyes and try to calm myself down. Giroud returns to stare at me, and exasperated by my behaviour, stands up. She approaches my desk, and noticing my practically blank notebook, walks away.

"The two hours are over Seyedoux, you can leave. See you tomorrow in class." She dismisses me. I sprint to my feet, hastily arrange my things in my briefcase, and after saying goodbye to her, I run out of the classroom. I reach my bike in an instant, get on it and start pedalling as fast as I can. As soon as I arrive in front of Joseph's house, I drop the bike by the curb, climb the three steps and ring the intercom.

While I wait, I nervously fix my hair and dress. As soon as the door opens, I look up and find myself in front of a very tall man with a grim and serious look. He is holding some papers and a pen. He looks at me from head to toe with a questioning air. "Good morning, this is Romy Seyedoux. I urgently need to speak to Joseph." I greet him, bowing my head in greeting.

The man inhales from his wooden pipe, and gives two coughs. "Joseph!" he calls to his son, and I hear footsteps walk down the corridor. From behind the man, emerges Joseph, who as soon as he sees me, turns gloomy in the face. Seeing them side by side, I notice a strong resemblance: they are both very tall, although Joseph surpasses his father by a few inches. His father is also thin, with wavy dark blond hair, and their faces are very similar.

"Goodbye." His father greets me, re-entering the house and closing the door. Joseph descends the steps past me, and walks a few feet away before turning around. I pick up my bike, and place my briefcase on top. I approach him and try to smile at him. He remains serious in the face.

"Jean Pierre kissed me, earlier in the courtyard, after class ended." I announce to him, as if he didn't already know. He squints, turns his back to me, and walks away. "Yeah...I noticed." He growls, avoiding my gaze.

I catch up with quick steps, and stand at his side. "Joseph, it wasn't my fault!" I tell him alarmed, noticing his reaction so abruptly. "No?" he asks, continuing to avoid my gaze. I place myself in front of him, blocking him with the weight of the bike.

"No?" I repeat in parrot fashion, stunned by his question. He finally turns his gaze to me. "You don't seem to have disdained..." he hisses, taking a few steps back, moving away from me. I remain motionless, my gaze fixed in his dark eyes. I realise my mouth is open like an ebony, and I clench it tightly, making my teeth hurt.

"Are you serious?" I say anxiously.

"Do I look like a buffoon?" he replies, maintaining a grim, granite tone of voice. I tighten my grip on the bicycle handlebars for solid support.

"Joseph, believe me. I've been trying to free myself."

He remains silent, slips his hands into his pockets and takes a cigarette between his fingers. He lights the lighter and the tip of the cigarette begins to burn.