Summer: Part 6

The morning sun was captivating, the star rising over the horizon. Today was the day of registration. My older brother drove me to the school. The sun was baking the old bricks. A line had formed behind us but my brother and I moved from station to station ahead of the horde of people in the lobby of the Hines Gym.

With every station attendant there was a polite and happy "Hello." or "Hi." I felt happy to encounter kind souls. It lifted my spirits. After I had my photo I.D. taken I picked up the white card and the gym was soon behind me. The Finance Office was next. The Finance Manager Mrs. Kerkly was joyful. "How's your morning going?" she asked.

"Good," I said. I heard footsteps behind me. It wasn't until Mrs. Kerkly asked me to move to the other side of the counter to purchase a locker that I stole a gaze at the new arrival. It was Stanley Jones. "So, here is your locker combination and the reciept," Mrs. Kerkly explained.

"Oh... yes. Thankyou very much." I managed to form a smile at her. As I was about to leave his voice came to me. "Hey, Wyatt," he said. I quickly turned around to find him hurry infront of me. "You forgot your I.D." I hesitated to move my hand for a moment but then my eyes moved down from his and to the card. "Th, thankyou, I said. He smiled and returned to his father's side.

As my brother and I exited the Finance Office he asked where to next. "Well, that was the last station. We can go home now."