Friday

The day was nearly done. As it was Friday, all I had to do was walk to my locker and leave. Just leave. I would depart from this school, from these fools, from all of the distractions, even from those who I had once held dear. For what purpose is it to love someone when they do not love you back? There is no purpose for it, no good reason. But I did just the same, no matter what they could do to me.

I often wondered why I loved school. Why would I love a place that did not bring me true happiness? A place that was just the illusion of happiness. I had been lying to myself and others that I loved school. I suppose I had loved it becaue I thought that everyday there was a possibility of something wonderful to happen. However, it didn't.

I remembered last year. Few rules, more people, more happiness for all. I isolated myself from the rest. In my mind that was the best option, for everyone. Why would I form new bonds of friendship with anyone when in four years I would never hear from or speak to or see them again? However, I made more friends and that was good, I suppose. I just wanted to have a number of friends that I loved and could keep track of.

Yet, this didn't happen. I was plagued with so many souls bound to my heart, and when high school would end my heart would break. In truth I believe I hate school. Sure my dazzling intelect prepared me for the academics which in turn would help prepare me for my career. But what else lied here? I waited and waited for days for something extraordonary or amazing to happen. The days held none of this.

I closed my saphire locker door and was greeted by Helen. Leigh-Anne approached behind her. Leig-Anne's grandmother was picking us up but she wasn't going to appear until 4:00 p.m. As a result we hastened to the snack bar by the gym to wait. Tiana joined us and we trekked across the campus, through the vaccant halls. Most had already departed.

The snack bar was closed. But the usual suspects hithered here still. It was Stanley and his friends Jake and Eric. Oh, here we go. I stood behind one of the pillars and hid from sight. No one really noticed me, as I foretold. I did not want to converse with all of them but just one. However, beginning a conversation with one person would surely attract more unwanted attention. All I wanted to do was talk to Jake. He always seemed interesting and kind.

He was a boy around my age, hair styled similar to mine, round but not huge, he was someone who I wish I had talked to more often. Eric on the other hand was different. I used to find the same in him that a found in Jake: the potential to be a great friend to me. But this did not happen. No matter how many times I messaged him or tried talking to him this stage of our friendship was never going to evolve. As a result I lost the will and desire to keep trying with him, I would've fought for him if need be.

Jake, I felt, was going to be different. He was the only reason why I remained in that atrocious construction class, him and Stanley. Stanley was humorous and there were two sides of him like that of a coin. Jake just pursued him in class, shadowing his movement. I just waited for directions or just cleaned, something I was good at.

Suddenly, I realized that the trio was departing. As they moved away I grew melancholly, sad. Though they were a complicated group they never strayed far from my thoughts. I wondered if they ever thought of me. Beep! Beep! Leigh-Anne's grandmother signaled us with her alarming car horn. I enteted the vehicle, designated for home.