Someone's Crush

I hummed a tune as I entered the school gates, applying my cycle brakes to stop. As I got down from the cycle, I walked towards the parking space alloted for students.

It was the first day of my 10th grade as I began to proudly march towards the school entrance door.

"Alright....this year is the most important year in your life. You MUST rank in top 10 among the students in the board exams." I assured myself as I adjusted my bag to accommodate the weight of the bag.

As I walked towards my alloted classroom, I saw a boy coming towards me. It's not that I had never seen him before. It's just that we never spoke in the 10 years of my school life.

"Hi" He waved at me and smiled. "Oh...hey" I replied, smiling.I marched forward trying my best not to be rude.

As I entered the classroom, I turned on the lights and fan and began walking towards one of the seats. A huge sigh left my mouth as I lowered my bag.

____

As the classes rolled on that day, a new student emerged through the door (and yeah...he's my ex crush but that doesn't matter now ¯⁠\⁠_⁠༼⁠ ⁠ಥ⁠ ⁠‿⁠ ⁠ಥ⁠ ⁠༽⁠_⁠/⁠¯)

He introduced himself to the class and sat down near the same boy who spoke with me in the morning.

The bell rang indicating the break time.

"Come on Zomato....let's just talk to him once. Atleast introduce ourselves?" I pleased with my friend (yes I named her Zomato, that's a story for another time)

She sighed and agreed finally. I pulled her, scratch that, dragged her towards the new boy.

"Hi! Nice to meet you!" I extended my arm towards the new boy. He gladly accepted my hand and introduced himself as well.

"You know? She's a topper as well" I heard a voice and looked beside him to see the boy from earlier (let's call him SJ).

I blowed raspberry as I shook my head. Flatterings were not my thing. What were you supposed to do when someone praises you? Because any other words seemed to boast about myself. So I always chose to laugh it out.

"Nahh don't praise me that much....I hope we can become friends" I shook my hand with the new boy. And we all know how that ended for me.

___
A few days later

"Hello!" SJ suddenly emerged from the restroom as I walked passed the corridor to reach my classroom.

"Hey!" I replied back. This had become such a normal thing for me that I started to converse with him like a close friend.

"Did you learn for the test?" I asked him as we both walked towards our classroom. "Yeah I guess so...." He trailed off.

Suddenly, our mutual friend emerged from behind and threw his hand around SJ's shoulder as he hugged him.

He then turned towards me with a smirk on his lips. "So....SJ wants to say something to you..." He was immediately interrupted by SJ's hand on his mouth.

"Just a moment please." SJ apologised as he pulled his friend towards him as he began whispering.

Me being the nosy little idiot I was, I decided to decipher what they were talking about.

And decipher, I did. With the mouth movements of the friend, I was able to figure out

"....that you have a crush on her"

My heart began to beat rapidly as I couldn't believe what he said. "Did he speak with me just because of his feelings and not because he wanted to actually become my friend?"