Chapter 1: Beneath the Waves

"Haven't I seen you somewhere before?"

"Yes. That's why I don't go there anymore."

-----------------------------------------------------

A luxurious suite with large windows, an indoor pool, and a state-of-the-art kitchen was filled with people, fancy food, and party decorations. Laughter and lively conversation filled every room but one. It was a large bedroom with a bunk bed in the left corner; one side fastened cool colors, and the walls were painted a dim gray with seafoam green accents.

On the other side was a red with light yellow accents. One girl wore an electret blue ball-like dress, and half of her h/l h/c hair was pulled back in a braided crown. Her e/c eyes moved back and forth, watching the black-haired girl pacing on the red side of the room. She held a worried look in her blue eyes before the 10-year-old was forced to stop. The energy made her floral yellow sundress flow slightly as she looked at the older girl.

"May, relax. You earned this." Y/n's e/c eyes shine with pride. "Mom and Dad will be so proud!" The girl smiled and sighed, calming down.

"I just don't wanna hear anything bad.", May said, looking at her sister. She mumbled something under her breath but looked up at the 11-year-old girl.

"Mom and Dad would say anything bad. I mean, I haven't done anything as special as you, and they still love me!" Y/n said proudly.

Y/n pulled May down the stairs gently; once in sight, their family and friends clap, and May gets swept away in the festivities and praise for winning the chess tournament at school. Y/n watched happily as her sister started to smile. Her parent was talking to Mr. and Mrs. Torres, the two always having chocolate or Loli pops on them, so Y/n goes over.

'Victory candy would be perfect!' The girl thinks to herself. Before she could gain their action, she heard her parent speak.

"Yes, May does have such a bright future, doesn't she Tim?" Her mom laughs.

"Indeed, I am glad that one of our daughters got our talents." He laughs and adds. "I was so worried with how the first came out."

"Now wait just a moment!" Mr. Torres jumped in. "How is that fair? Aren't the girls a year apart?"

"Yes, your point Martín?" Tom asked. "The girl is cursed. Why do you think we sold our beach house? The kid kept crying, and for goodness sake, we got her a fish last year, and she started talking to it!"

"The girl is eleven. All kids have overactive imaginations. Our little Gabriela ran around claiming she was a space invader just yesterday." Mrs. Torres said. "And Martín played superheroes the other day with Emilio. So what if the girl talks to her pet? Lots of people do."