Chapter 32

"Annika." Shivaay softly called trying to wake her up, as he brushed her hair strands.

"Hmmm." She hummed almost inaudibly and snuggled more into the blanket. Shivaay chuckled at the sight.

"College nahi jaana?"

[Trans- Don't you want to go to college?]

"Need to go. I got attendance less than sixty per cent in all subjects." She mumbled groggily.

"Take rest yaar. Your fever has just reduced and how is your headache?" He asked.

"Better than yesterday. What time is it?" Annika asked still having her eyes closed.

"Eight-thirty." He mumbled fastening his watch straps on his wrist.

"Okay, then aap apne kam ke liye nikaliye. I will attend the classes after twelve-thirty." She whispered and turned her body to the other side.

[Trans- okay then you leave for your work.]

Shivaay nodded. "Yes, that seems like a better idea. Also, listen I have made some puris and aloo ke sabzi, it's wrapped up and is in a box, so please heat it before you have it. After college don't stress yourself with making dinner, I will come and prepare it." Shivaay said, as leaned towards her kissing her hair. "Call karna mujhe when you reach college."

"Ok."

"Bye, my lady." Shivaay kissed her forehead. "I'm locking the door, use the spare key you have." Instructing Annika, Shivaay walked out of the room switched off the running fan in the living room and gas stove and collected his bike keys and wallet before locking the door.

Two hours later,

As Annika slowly opened her eyes, she found herself disoriented for a moment. The room was dimly lit, and she realized that it was already late morning. She quickly sat up in bed, trying to remember why she had slept for so long.

As her memory started to clear, Annika recalled the exhausting day she had before falling asleep. Rubbing her eyes and stretching her limbs, she slowly got out of bed and made her way to the window. Opening the curtains, she was greeted by the warm, golden hues of the setting sun pouring into her room.

"Damn this college life!" She grumbled under her breath and thought of her life as a homemaker rather than a working woman. However, she swiftly dismissed her current thoughts, as she never wanted to be financially dependent on her husband. Regardless of the circumstances and situations, Annika wanted to work and going to college was the stepping stone to grab a wonderful job, in the upcoming years.

Sighing, Annika scrambled to their kitchen to have her late breakfast, before getting ready for the classes.

Despite having a mild fever, headache, and a severe feeling of nausea, she couldn't afford to miss her classes at law school. Her attendance had been steadily declining, already dropping by fifty-five per cent due to her participation in various moots and ADR (Alternative Dispute Resolution) competitions. This month, she had hardly attended a week's worth of classes. Law school was undeniably challenging, demanding her undivided attention and dedication. Every day involved juggling multiple assignments, preparing for competitions, ensuring attendance, and, most importantly, balancing her personal life as a wife.

There were moments when Annika questioned her decision to pursue a legal career. The mounting pressure from academic responsibilities, combined with her declining attendance, weighed heavily on her. Her declining attendance posed a significant challenge. The attendance policies at her college were strict, and she couldn't afford to fall further behind. Each missed class meant missing out on important lectures and discussions. It was vital for her to catch up and bridge the knowledge gap.