Split Up

"Nice job, supercops. I'm genuinely impressed," Carlos commended.

"So we're good to go?" James asked eagerly.

"Mostly. We're gonna need about 30 or 40 minutes for maintenance though."

Suddenly, a door next to them swung open, revealing the man from earlier who had killed his teammate. He approached with a serious expression.

"How are we doing, Nicholai?" Carlos asked.

"The town is crawling with those freaks. No chance of fighting our way out of here," Nicholai responded, painting a grim picture of the perilous situation they faced.

He looked over and saw Jill and James. "Why are they here?" he exclaimed in an annoyed voice.

"They helped get the trains running again," Carlos explained.

Nicholai scoffed. "Bad time to start carrying dead weight, my friend. They're unreliable and can't pull the trigger when it counts."

"Take it easy, man, we're all on the same side," Carlos said, attempting to diffuse the tension that hung in the air.

"They're gonna get you killed," Nicholai spat, his words echoing a foreboding warning as he walked away, leaving a lingering sense of unease behind.

"Sorry about that, guys. Stressful times, everyone is a little worked up," Carlos apologized.

"It's cool. Just don't put me in the same train car as him, or something bad might happen," James said.

Carlos chuckled. "Deal."

Suddenly, their attention was drawn by a loud crashing sound behind them. Nemesis had smashed its way into the subway.

"Oh, come on, not again!" James exclaimed.

Carlos swiftly pushed a button to lower the gate, but before it closed, Jill had a realization.

"It's me it's after," she declared before rolling back under the gate toward the creature. "Go! I'll buy you some time!"

"No! What are you doing?" James protested.

"Go!" Jill insisted as she took off running in the opposite direction.

"JILL, NO!"

"Come on, man," Carlos urged as he grabbed James and pushed him towards the train cars.

"No! We can't just leave her out there!" James protested, forcefully shoving Carlos off him.

"She's a tough girl, I'm sure she'll be fine," Carlos attempted to reassure.

Faint gunshots echoed in the distance, followed by what seemed like a scream of pain from Jill.

James immediately pressed his earpiece. "JILL! ARE YOU OK?"

Silence lingered. "JILL! ARE YOU ALRIGHT?"

Still, no response. The air grew heavy with uncertainty as they anxiously awaited any sign of Jill's safety.

"Open the gate," James demanded.

"I'm not gonna do that," Carlos resisted.

"OPEN THE FUCKING GATE, CARLOS!" James yelled, frustration and fear fueling his urgency.

"What are you gonna do, go after her? You have no idea where she went," Carlos reasoned, his tone stern.

James kicked the gate out of frustration.

"Come on, man. I'm sure she'll be fine," Carlos reassured.

Hesitant, James turned around and started walking back to the subway with Carlos.