17. Hunches

October 2014

Tomas

Today was the last concert of our tour. I didn't know if to feel relief or nostalgia. Even if we had just been the opening act and not the main show, I had learned a lot. I will also miss the guys from the Killers, who had been more than welcoming and patient with us.

The following day, I needed to travel back to New York. I wanted to take a small break, but Henry already had other plans for me.

We needed to film a music video and make a couple of presentations on live TV.

Besides, we had to present ourselves in the recording studio, where we would prepare an album of the tour. I had to be present, to help the team find the best concert and shots.

I inhaled deeply. I was drained. I wanted no more than to rest back at home, to see my family and friends. Seeing Emma and Isaiah back in Houston had helped me charge up, even if they had brought along Emma's haughty boyfriend.

I thought about texting her, but I didn't want to bother her or even get her in any kind of trouble with James. I had noticed how he had reacted when we were together.

I couldn't blame him. I had tried my best to keep some distance, but I had failed at showing my attraction towards her. I think the only one that has yet to notice is her.

"Okay, you need to stop sighing so much before you drive me insane! What is going on with you Tom-Tom?" Asked my head stylist, Hiro.

Hiro was a tall man, who preferred to not have a pronoun, a bit potbellied, with an excellent fashion sense. He had slanted eyes, and his black hair only took space on top of his head which was always combed back.

"Eh, nothing. I guess I'm just ready to get this show over with." I answered, looking at him thru the mirror in front of us while Hiro did my light makeup.

"Yeah, no. That's not it, and you know it."

I let out another sigh, making Hiro give me a small smack on my cheek.  "Ow. I don't know. I miss my family and friends, I guess. I thought I was going to be able to see them, but Henry already filled my schedule up."

Hiro brushed my thick eyebrows with a transparent gel. "That sounds more like it. And I get it. That's what you get working in this industry."

"Well, yes. That's the sacrifices you've got to make, right? It's just...I lost the girl that I like. Again. I'm gonna grow old and alone." I exhaled, defeated.

"Ugh, you are so dramatic." Hiro finished spreading some powder on my face. "Who's this girl you are talking about? Is it your friend that you saw in Houston?" He vaguely remembered me showing her to him, seeing her from afar, while the presentation of the Killers was on.

"Yes her. She's got this boyfriend that goes to school with her. How can I compete with that when I'm always away?"

"Okay, but is she married or engaged to the bloke?" Hiro had a fist supporting his waist.

"Well, no but—

He raised his hands up, interrupting me. "Then go for it! I swear I thought you were smarter than this."

"Thanks." I answered sarcastically.

"I mean, didn't you tell me she models, too? Why don't you tell Henry? Maybe he can convince Gus to hire her. You could have more time with her, and maybe make her forget about the boyfriend." Suggested Hiro.

My eyes lit up. Perhaps inviting her wouldn't make her leave her boyfriend. That would be too selfish, even for me, since I wouldn't be able to fill those obligations myself, but at least that would give me a bit of time to spend with her. I wouldn't lose anything by asking.