21. Free If We Want It

November 2014

Emma

I wasn't expecting anyone over, so when my doorbell rang, my back straightened, and I sat there for a couple of seconds.

There, in the threshold of my apartment, was Tomas. He seemed comfortable, wearing joggers and a band t-shirt. I smiled instantly.

"Hi beautiful!" He greeted me, trying to show off his left bicep, while he leaned on the side of the door, with his hand behind his head. "Are you busy?"

I, instinctively, hugged him. As I smelt his cologne my legs went weak. "I am. But I'll open my super busy agenda for you, Rocker boy." I joked.

He returns the sentiment, resting his chin on top of my head, rubbing his fingers on my lower back, which was uncovered thanks to my crop top. His touch was soft and warm. My column shook, reacting to it.

To ignore the shakiness, I made way for him to come in. He sits on the sofa, with me following him thru. He notices my coffee table covered by books, notes and my laptop. Cuca lays on her bed next to the couch, taking a nap.

"Am I interrupting a case?" He teased.

"Yeah, something like that." I shrugged. "You want something to drink?"

He shook his head and stopped me from getting up as he pulled my hand down. "No. I just came to see how you were doing. I heard you broke up with the boyfriend."

It could have been my imagination, but I was sure I saw a small smile hiding in his lips.

I sighed. "You guys are so nosy, I swear!" I pulled away my hands from him, annoyed.

"Hey, don't get mad at me. I'm only worried about you, that's all." He sets his eyes on me for a moment."I thought you might need my company. I'm here to help." He said as he raised my face with a finger on my chin.

I smiled small.

I was feeling overwhelmed. My breakup with James had caused certain unexpected problems. Besides, I had too much work and homework. I had thought about calling my friend right after the breakup, but I didn't want to bother him or seem whiny.

I knew he had his own worries and activities, besides his work. He had just signed a contract to be the new ambassador for the latest Tom Ford perfume, so besides working extensively every day in the studio, he had to model for his new campaign.

It had been almost a month since my birthday, since I had last seen him.

I had spoken to him a week ago, and the following day was when James ended our relationship. That was one of the reasons I wasn't comfortable telling him about the recent changes. Apparently, he had been one of the causes of our separation. Even if I had tried to deny it with James, he was smarter than that.

That night, James was ready to claim the promise I had made to him in his car. We were both in his dorm, after eating a quick dinner. We were both sitting on his bed, pretending to look for something to watch on the TV, while I excused myself to go to the bathroom. I had splashed water on the back of my neck to calm my anxiousness. As I returned to my place next to him, I noticed James had tensed up. As I tried to give him a peck on his cheek, he turned his face away, dodging it. He had my phone on his hand, holding it tightly, while his jaw was clenched.

"If you want to talk to your friend more than to me, that's fine. If you want to go visit him again all the way to New York, do it. But don't expect me to be here waiting for you like an idiot."

I was dumbfounded. At first, I didn't understand what he was talking about. But after a minute, I remembered my last conversation with Tomas. I never spoke to my friend in a compromising manner, so I couldn't understand why James would turn jealous now. When I texted my friends, specifically the ones from my childhood, I tended to talk freely, but that was all.