Chapter 4

3rd POV

They were now on the move and everyone was on their phones. Jade was reading Wattpad on her phone when she got a text from Kyle.

"Hey, what's up? 😊"

Rolling her eyes, Jade replies with a smile.

"Not much, just chilling in the backseat. You?"

"Just thinking about how great our friendship is"

"Aw, me too! It's been awesome getting to know you better"

"Agree. You know, you're really important to me"

"Aww, that's sweet. You're important to me too!"

"Glad to hear that"

Jade smiles, turns off her phone, and is about to look outside but she gets another text message from Kyle.

"Hey, Jade. You ever think about, you know, how things might be if we were more than friends?"

Widening her eyes in shock, Jade nervously looks up and sees Kyle looking out the window. She looked down at her phone and typed out a reply.

"Uh... Maybe. Why, do you like me or something?😅"

Jade shyly turned off her phone and looked out the window again.

"Honey, aren't your feet cold?" Dan asked Jessica, who was putting her feet out as she took pictures.

"I don't care. I am on vacation,"

"What are you doing?"

"I'm posting about our trip,"

"Look, do we need to be posting and tweeting and TikToking?" Dan asked. "In my day, road trips were all about interaction,"

"No, Dad. Please. I can't deal with a dad lecture right now," Nina shook her head. "You don't even know how to text, so your opinion doesn't count,"

Jade then feels her phone buzz. Looking down, she sees a text message from Kyle.

"No comment👀"

Jade looked at the text in confusion, before she heard Dan call out.

"I'm serious. This should be a device-free vacation, okay? Give them up, now," Dan said, reaching his hand back. "Seriously,"

"Do I have to, Mr. Morgan? There are pictures of my dad in here and these are the only ones I have," Jade asked as Dan looked through the rearview mirror.

"No, you don't have to, Jade. Just Nina and Kyle," he said as Nina looked at Jade in shock.

"What? That's so not fair," Nina complained.

"Give them up now," Dan ordered before glancing at Jessica. "Jess, a little help?"

"Okay, you heard him. Hand 'em over," she said as Kyle and Nina handed over their phones.

"Yours too," Dan told Jessica, making Jessica hand hers over.

"All right. Mine too. All of us, okay?" he said as he held up all of their phones. "Solidarity! Bye!" he yelled, before throwing them out the window.

"No way you just did that. What?"
"Oh my god, Dad," Kyle and Nina complained.

"I've just freed our family from the shackles of technology with a flick of my wrist. Just like that. And trust me, it's gonna bring us all closer together. Just you wait,"