Chapter 3

Upstairs

"Vegas?" Mrs. Morgan asked, surprised. "We're going to Las Vegas today?"

"Well, you said you wanted..."

"So, what's going on with you, Jade?" Kyle asked me as he sat on the exercise ball.

Since I was playing with Max, I looked up at Kyle. "What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean. Why are you coming along with us? Where's Mr. Smith?" Kyle asked.

"Nothing," I replied, shrugging my shoulders. "It's just–"

I then heard Mr. Morgan call out to us. "No. The kids have a long weekend, and they're pumped. Right, guys?" he asked, making us look at him. "Guys, tell your mom how pumped you are for this trip,"

Smiling, I held up a thumbs-up, before playing with Max again.

"Seriously, Jade. What's going on?" Kyle asked, again.

"Nothing, Kyle!" I yelled, frustratedly as I stood up and handed Max to Nina before walking off.

3rd POV

"Nothing, Kyle!" Jade yelled in frustration, as she walked off. Dan looked up and noticed Jade leaving the room.

"Jade? What happened, where are you going?" he asked, worriedly as Jade just continued to walk off.

"Nice going, Kyle," Nina smirked, making Kyle roll his eyes with a sigh before following after Jade.

"Jade!" Kyle called out, as he saw her walking off. "Jade!" he called out, now running up to her.

"Jade, seriously. What is going on?" he asked, grabbing her arm. "You know you can talk to me, right? I'm here for you," Kyle asked, concerned as she nodded.

Jade looked at him, debating on whether she should tell him everything. "It's–It's about my dad,"

"I figured it was something like that, since I mentioned your dad. What happened?" he asked, softly.

Jade takes a deep breath, choosing her words carefully. She took in a long breath, her eyes now filled with small tears. "I can't tell you everything, Kyle. It's complicated,"

Kyle let out a small sigh, leaning forward. "You don't have to keep everything bottled up, Jade. I'm your best friend. I want to be there for you,"

"It's not that simple, Kyle," she shook her head. "My dad isn't exactly... ordinary,"

Kyle looked at her, confused. "What do you mean?"

Jade looked down and let out a sigh. "He is involved in some dangerous stuff, and I can't go into details. It's better if you don't know," she replied.

"Jade, you can trust me. Whatever it is, we can face it together," he replied, respecting her boundaries but still concerned.

Jade looks up at him again, teary-eyed. "I know, Kyle. But I'm scared. Scared that if I tell you everything, it'll change everything between us,"

"Jade, nothing could change how I feel about you. We're best friends, and I'm here for you, no matter what," Kyle responds softly.

Jade looks at Kyle, gratitude and fear warring in her eyes. "Thanks, Kyle," she smiled.

TIME SKIP

The whole family was now back in the car, driving out of the parking garage.

"Do we have snacks?" Jessica asks as Dan turns to exit the parking garage.

"Let's just get out there on the road, and then we can make a stop and–" Dan replies, before stopping the car.

Dan looks out the window and sees the black minivan. Jade looks up and notices it too, shaking nervously.