Chapter 5

They were all now on the road and Jade was looking out the window while the others were asleep as Dan drove.

Dan noticed some guys on top of the overlook and some cars following them.

"Jade..." Dan called out, making her look at the front. "I'm going to need you to keep your head down,"

Jade looked at him in confusion, before turning to look out the back window. "Shit,"

She turned back around and noticed the others sleeping. "What about the noise? Won't it wake them up?"

"Don't worry, I got it covered. Just stay down," Dan replied, as she ducked down.

Just then, Dan started to drive recklessly. Jade started to swerve in her seat before hearing some gunshots hit the back window, making her cower her head as she screamed. A few seconds later, she looked up to see the guys were gone.

"What was that?" Jessica asked as she jumped awake.

"Hey, honey," Dan said. "Just a little bit of a pothole there," he replied, looking through the rearview mirror as he made eye contact with Jade.

Jade nodded at him, letting him know that she was okay before he turned back to the road and continued driving.

AT SIU

They were now walking through SIU, looking around at the campus and Jade was wearing her headphones as she looked around.

"This place is gorgeous," Nina said to Jessica. "How could you not want me to come here?"

Jessica scoffs, looking at Dan. "I cannot believe that you are encouraging this,"

"Look, it wouldn't hurt for us to be off the road for a bit. Besides, I mean, maybe if we want her to listen to us, we gotta start listening to her more," Dan replied, as they continued to walk through the campus grounds.

Jade was now bobbing her head to the music on her headphones, humming along to whatever song she was listening to, not knowing that Kyle was slightly smiling at her.

Just then, the marching band was walking by. Jessica thought of an idea and smirked, turning to Nina.

"Okay. You wanna find out what college life is really about?" Jessica smiled. "Follow me," she finished as they followed her.

Hearing the marching band playing, Jade turns off her music and puts her headphones away.

"This takes me back," Jessica smiled as she was holding Max on a baby carrier.

"It's like a toxic masculinity convention," Nina shrugged.

"It's called school spirit, Nina," Jessica called out.

"Yeah, okay. You're not the one who's gonna get flipped over in a porta-potty," Kyle said, making Jade hold in a laugh. Kyle gave her a look but she only shrugged her shoulders.

"Hey, sexy. You want me to show you how to do a keg stand?" A boy asked out, looking at Jessica. Jessica smirked and turned around to face him.

"Oh, ew. Sorry. I didn't realize you were... a mom," he sighed with a smile.

"That's gross," Jade gagged, looking away.

"Nina," Jessica smiled as she handed Max to Nina. Jessica took off the baby carrier and walked towards the keg stand, making everyone erupted into cheers.

Jessica did a handstand on the keg stand and smiled. "Beer me!" she yelled, as they beered her.

"Don't you ever try anything like that," Jessica pointed at Nina and Jade.