Chapter 6

"Nooooooo!" I shouted as I did a backflip over the banister. My foot hit the entry hall chandelier and it shattered into a million pieces.

I couldn't believe him!

I had to stay with her? On such short notice?

In a fury, I hopped over the broken glass and ran to my room, slamming the door. Then I fell onto my bed and screamed into my pillow, feeling hot and fast tears on my cheeks.

How dare he!

I finally left my room when Barry called me down for dinner. He had made lasagna and rolls, with apple pie for dessert. What can I say? I'm a sucker for food.

I wasn't very hungry, but I managed to eat everything, the entire lasagna and all.

Dad was humming his latest song, and Mother was fixing her hair.

Ugh. The atmosphere could only mean one thing: there was another party tonight. And sadly enough, as it turned out, I was actually allowed to come.

After dinner, I went upstairs to my room.

There was an orange ruffle shirt laid out on my bed.

I had no choice except to put it on.

Then I gelled my hair and brushed my teeth. Then I went downstairs.

Barry was dressed nice, too. That is actually usual for him, considering he's a professional butler and all. Mother was overdone, and Dad got out of his ripped jeans for once and slicked his hair.

Go figure.

The party was awful, but it might've been tolerable if Emil had been there.

All the guests left by two in the morning, and I was tired. Luckily, I was given no homework. I slept like a log

"Next up–Immaculate Dropletia?" the cheer coach called hesitantly.

Tryouts were before school. I had convinced Barry to drive me there.

Alexson tried out for a position on the football team. I had watched him while waiting in line for cheerleading tryouts. He was actually really good.

I gulped nervously as I walked up and handed the coach my form. Then I got out onto the mat, picked up the pom-poms, and did a few flips and cartwheels.

Then I cheered:

"COUGARS, COUGARS! THEY'RE EVERYWHERE! TELL MY MOTHER THAT I DON'T CARE! LEAVE ME ALONE...COUGARS!"

I wasn't tired or sweaty. The coach looked at me and...furrowed her brow in confusion.

Well, what was I expecting?

Lunch was nicknamed "social hour" for a reason. All anyone did was talk. I saw Alexson in the far corner of the lunchroom and walked over to him.

"Hi, Alexson. You did well in football tryouts earlier," I greeted him.

He looked up at me from his book and frowned. Then he opened his mouth and I started to back away. Gross, halitosis.

"Wait!" he said. "I need to tell you something."

I sat down next to him. Across the lunchroom, I could see Emil was frowning.

"Listen, Immaculate. Emil is not all he seems. He's really a terrible person and is mean to everyone he doesn't like. He's head of the track team and that dangerous "club." He's only nice to you because your dad is his idol."

I nodded. Interesting I thought.

"Immaculate, I have a feeling you're a good kid. Please, whatever you do, don't join their horrid club," Alexson pleaded.