Chapter 27

"What... What are these, Sky?"

Nanigas ako sa aking kinatatayuan nang makita kung ano ang mga hawak ni Kuya Navie. It came from my drawer, I am sure of that. Those tablets of pills and medicine I've been disposing of for the past few months.

"What is the meaning of this?" he murmured, his bloodshot eyes landing on me.

My lips parted as I swallowed the lump in my throat. I started ambling towards him; my eyes were on his hand.

"That is just my medicine, Kuya."

"I am not blind, Skylar. I know these are your medicine. Now tell me why... why do you still have these? These... all of these were prescribed last month. This shouldn't be..."

My lips trembled, sinubukan kong ikalma ang sarili ko. "I-I probably missed taking—"

I flinched when he hurled those tablets on the floor. "That is bullshit, Sky, don't lie to me." he fumed. "Fraida—"

Agad kong isinara ang pinto ng kwarto ko nang tawagin niya si Fraida. "She has nothing to do with this Kuya!"

"Then tell me Sky!" he pleaded with his frustrated voice. "tell me why you have those? Bakit hindi mo iniinom? Bakit hindi mo iniinom, Sky?"

Nanlabo ang aking mga mata habang nakatingin sa kaniya. My breathing quickened and I find it hard to control it.

"K-Kuya..."

Mariin itong napapikit at dinaluhan ako. He took my hand and leveled his eye to mine. Mas lalo sumikip ang aking dibdib nang makitang pagbabadya ng luha sa kaniyang mata.

Nagbaba ako ng tingin sa kamay kong hindi matigil sa panginginig. He held it tighter, ikinulong sa kaniyang mga kamay.

"Do you remember it, Sky? Do you remember everything all this throughout time?" he asked, his eyes pleading and voice breaking.

I sobbed, my lips couldn't even move a bit. Tears swelled my eyes, and I couldn't see his face properly. I gripped his hands and looked for support. I shook my head aggressively, trying to block the memories that were starting to appear in my head.

Those memories I've been trying to forget.

Those memories I've been trying to escape.

Those memories have been hunting me.

I tried, but they all came back without a warning. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry, Kuya. I'm sorry." I sniffed.

I'm sorry.

"It's alright, Sky. You can tell it to Kuya. You can tell it to me, I am here."

I shook my head, my tears cascading freely.

"Sky, Sky listen..." inabot niya ang pisngi ko, he made me look at him but I couldn't. I kept on crying, I kept on saying sorry. "Skylar tell me, please? You can tell it to me, please, princess?"

"Sky..." he pleaded again, "please, princess... do you remember it?"

I sobbed and lowered my head as I started nodding. Tumango ako at nahulog sa aking mga paa saka humagulgol sa aking mga kamay.

I remembered everything. I remembered it all. I remembered her too well. And the truth is... I didn't even get a chance to forget it. It stays in my memory, haunting me since that day.

I remembered how I was rescued alone after being kidnapped by some syndicate. Mga sindikatong kalaban ng pamilya nina Liz.

I remembered how it killed Riegar when he learned that Liz was gone. I remembered how everyone was mourning her. I remembered her father pleading with me to participate in the investigation to catch those syndicates.

I remembered myself shutting down everyone around me. I remembered myself undergoing several therapy sessions and almost spending my days consulting. I remembered intentionally shutting down those memories and taking different classes of medications for my anxiety.

Maybe it helped me, but it did not last.

It all came back to me again after what happened at Ate Honor's wedding. I remembered it again when I saw Riegar's pleading eyes.

And I never got a chance to escape it. Even the medicines did not work anymore. It just keeps on repeating in my head and in my dreams.

"I-I'm sorry Kuya..." I cried and saw him dropped his knees with me on the floor.

He's crying. He brought his hand on his face, squeezing his blood shot eyes.

"Why, Sky?" nasasaktang tanong nito. "w-why did you had to keep it to yourself?"

Nasapo ko ang aking bibig at humikbi.

"W-We promised..." he murmured, his voice sounds so weak. "You... and Riegar, promised..."

"We promised not to keep secrets. You promised princess..."

I went to him and embraced him with my weak arms. "I'm sorry, K-Kuya... I-I'm sorry..."

"You've been suffering alone. You've been suffering alone and we, your brothers don't even know it."

Pinigilan ko ito, I shook my head aggressively and sobbed.

"N-No, this is not y-your fault, K-Kuya. T-This is all my fault. It's my fault, it's my f-fault." I wept. "it's my fault..."

"I-I'm your brother and have only one job, it is to protect you, princess, but I fucking failed!"

I tightened my arms around him, my heart breaking. I felt him embracing me protectively. I cried against his chest, like a child.

"H-How come we didn't know this, fuck. You've been suffering alone. I am sorry..."

I shook my head. Gusto kong ipagtanggol siya, but my tears wouldn't just stop. They're no fault here. It's me... I'm the problem.

The door suddenly opened and there was Mom, weeping, and Dad with his blood shot eyes like Kuya Navie.

My chest tightened when Mom lurched towards me and Kuya Navie, ibinalot kami sa kaniyang bisig at umiiyak.

"My darling..." she cried, pressing her lips to my head. "Mommy's sorry, Sky, baby, I-I didn't know. I-I didn't know..."

I shook my head. "Y-You're no at fault, Mom..."

Dad went to us his hand were in his jaw, trying to fight the tears in his eyes. Lumuhod ito malapit sa amin at idinait ang kaniyang noo sa akin.

My clenched at the sight and cried again.

"I-I'm sorry..." Dad murmured, his voice broke.

No, I am sorry.

And I will always be, especially to you...

Liz