FIVE

My eyes, legs and arms were so heavy I could hardly drag myself to the bathroom. I called in sick to work last night after what happened with Raphael, Luke and Elijah. The past two days had made my head spin. All I wanted, was to finish school, get a job and leave this city. Perhaps move somewhere far away where no one would recognise me. Getting dragged into vampire, werewolf and demon business was not in the plan. 

Elijah had left for work and thankfully didn't disturb me beforehand. I had hoped he might have felt a small shred of guilt for what he did to me last night, but it was my fault in the first place so I couldn't expect too much. 

School wasn't happening today. I tried to bring myself to shower but every bone in my body ached. So I settled into bed, pulled the covers over my cold body and pretended the outside world didn't exist.  

It was abnormal for me to sleep all day - especially with no nightmares, and when I finally woke up in the evening my energy had revived itself enough for me to have a bath. I scrubbed every part of my body, rubbing away the reminders of the circle members dying in front of me, of the vampire holding me still while he tried to suck me dry, and of Elijah's hands propelling me to the floor.

The cut on my head had stopped bleeding. It wouldn't need stitches and it wasn't infected. I covered it as best I could with make-up - along with the shaded bags under my eyes. It was Monday so I was scheduled to work tonight. A part of me wanted to call in ill again but the thought of being in the same house as Elijah all night made my toes curl.  

I checked my phone on my way to the pandemonium, hoping or praying for a text from Reece saying he was able to cover my shift. But instead I was greeted with a voicemail from the library, stating that I was getting the sack for doing a no-show on Sunday. Obviously it was said in much more polite manner, but I was fired non the less. I had expected it, but I couldn't help but feel gutted. As corny as it sounds, the library was so peaceful compared to home and the pandemonium. It gave me the break I needed between the chaos. 

As soon as the pandemonium came into sight, dread plummeted through me. Yes, I know it was a bad idea going back after what happened last time. But I didn't have the necklace anymore so circle members should have any interest in me. I was just a boring human doing a normal human job. 

Reece called me over once he saw me enter the club. His gaze lingered to the taped cut on my head but I was thankful he didn't ask about it. "Hey hope you're feeling better. We've got a busy night tonight so you'll be on the bar." He paused, holding up his finger. "A man with blonde hair was asking about you yesterday. He wanted to know if you were working last night. I told him no, and don't worry - I didn't give him any information about you. There are some creepy assholes around these days."

I nodded, "Thank you Reece. I appreciate it." My stomach twisted, knowing it was Jace who had been looking for me. I hoped deep down that he would give up. He had the necklace, what else could he need from me?

"If you need help Freya, or anything at all, you can come to me." Reece lowered his voice, suggesting that he wouldn't offer this to just any of the staff. His eyes showed genuine concern. 

"I'm okay Reece. I swear." I reassured, "but you would be the first person I came to if there was anything going on." That seemed enough to give Reece some peace of mind.

I headed to the bar, beginning my usual routine of setting it up for the night. My plan was to keep my head down and not draw unwanted attention to myself. Every person I looked at made me question whether they were a human or . .  . something else. A deep feeling of unease settled within me with every drink I poured for customers.  

The tightness around my throat increased once I settled eyes upon Magnus Bane. He betrayed me. He knew that the necklace I wore was what Valentine was looking for. But I put a smile on my face and pretended I was non the wiser. I'm smart enough not to pick a fight with a warlock.