Season 2 Episode 1. Hashira meeting

The swordsmith village was very quickly relocated and rebuilt. Many lives were lost in the attack from the two upper rank demons. However, there was no time to mourn them. The demons would not wait.

Not too long later, at Ubuyashiki mansion, the hashira held an emergency meeting.

"I'm so jealous of you guys," Sanemi said. "I never get to face any upper rank demons."

"Nearly everyone is running into them, but it's not something you can control," Obanai said. "Kazuyuki-san and Tokito-san, how are you two doing?"

"I'm perfectly fine," Kimi replied.

"I'm still not fully myself," Muichiro said. "I'm fine, though."

"Muichiro healed impossibly fast," Kimi thought. "Everything that had befallen him was already crazy enough. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, though."

"If we lose any more hashira, the demon slayer corps will be in grave danger," Gyomei said. "It's good that you defeated two upper rank demons and survived."

"Tokito-san, you healed unusually quickly," Shinobu said. "What happened?"

"The master will most likely tell us about that too," Giyu said.

"Thank you for waiting so long," Kimi heard a voice say.

It was the master's wife, who entered the room and sat down in front of them.

"I am Amane Ubuyashiki," Amane said. "I will represent Kagaya Ubuyashiki at today's hashira meeting. Due to Kagaya's worsening condition, he is no longer able to appear before you."

"Understood," Gyomei said. "I pray from the bottom of my heart that the master continues to live even if only for one day longer."

"I am deeply grateful to all of the hashira," Amane said. "We will most likely soon find ourselves in a full scale war. I have received reports that Muichiro Tokito manifested a mark with a distinctive pattern during his fight with upper rank 5. I would like him to tell us about the conditions that caused the mark to appear."

"The mark?" Muichiro asked.

"During the sengoku period, the swordsmen who nearly defeated Muzan Kibutsuji all manifested marks similar to demonic patterns," Amane said.

"This is the first time I've ever heard of that," Sanemi said. "Why was this information hidden?"

"Because many have tormented themselves over why they haven't been able to manifest the mark too," Amane replied. "Most of the details regarding the marks are unclear. It may have been because it didn't seem important, or it may have been because the information was lost in one of the many times that the demon slayer corps nearly suffered complete destruction. The only clear records we have say that when the marked one arrives, the mark will appear on others around that person as if in resonance. Those words were left by a swordsman who used first breathing. Now, at this time, the first to manifest the mark, was not a hashira. Tanjiro Kamado was the first marked one. However, we had no idea what caused the mark to appear, so we didn't pursue it. But now, a hashira has had this awakening. Please tell us how it happened, Tokito."

"I wasn't aware of manifesting the mark," Muichiro said. "However, when I think back to that fight, I do remember a few unusual things. I supposed those things may cause others to manifest the mark as well. I was poisoned and couldn't move. I used breathing to slow my blood circulation and prevent the poison from spreading any further. I almost drowned, and then my lost memories returned. I was so angry that I couldn't control my emotions. I think my heart rate was over 200 beats per minute, and my body felt hot, like it was burning. I think my temperature was over 39 degrees celsius."

"You could move in such a state!?" Shinobu gasped. "That could have killed you!"

"I think you're right," Muichiro said. "Survival... is what separates those who manifest the mark from those who don't."

Silence.

"A heart beat of over 200 beats per minute..." Amane trailed off in shock. "What makes you think your temperature was over 39 degrees celsius?"

"Well, I was once sick at the butterfly mansion, and the thermometer said my temperature was over 39 degrees celsius," Muichiro said. "I felt the same way when the mark appeared."

Silence.

"Can it really be that simple?" Sanemi asked.

"I envy your simple mind for thinking THAT is simple," Giyu said.

"What?" Sanemi asked.

"Nothing," Giyu said.

"It is urgent that all hashira manifest the mark," Amane said.

"I will achieve it somehow," Gyomei said. "Please tell the master to rest assured."

"Thank you," Amane said.

Amane soon left the room the same way she came in.

Giyu attempted to leave as well, as soon as Amane was gone.

"Wait, we need to talk!" Sanemi said. "We have to figure out what we're going to do!"

"I'm not involved," Giyu said.

"What do you mean you're not involved? You don't take being a hashira seriously enough!" Obanai said. "Or do you just want to skip the meeting and start your training?"

"Explain yourself, Tomioka-san," Shinobu said. "As usual, you say too little."

"...I'm different from you guys," Giyu said.

"I'm not buying that!" Sanemi said. "You said the same thing once before."

Gyomei clapped his hands together loud enough that everyone could hear.

"Sit and let us continue talking," Gyomei said. "I have a proposal."