Chapter 31

The next morning, I was sending up silent prayers to whoever was listening that Katsuki would skip first hour. Of course, whatever higher power existed seemed to laugh at my misery. The blond was already sitting at his desk, staring out the window, when I walked in. 

He didn't look toward me until I sat at my desk. His crimson eyes widened at the sight of me, but I tried my hardest to ignore him. My plan failed when he spoke, his voice rougher than usual. "I thought your mom was sending you away." 

I forced a light-hearted chuckle to leave my lips. "Turns out, if you shed a few tears and mention a relapse, the woman's putty in my hands." 

His eyes widened and I thought it was from my cruel words. "You relapsed?" 

Now it was my turn to be surprised. "You didn't know? I thought Uraraka called Ashido." 

"She didn't mention that part," he said quietly, almost in disbelief. 

I eyed him, trying to gauge his thoughts. "I can see the little gears in your head whirring away, Kacchan," I teased, trying to remain unfazed by him. "Trying to figure out my poison of choice? If I'm still high now? If that's the real reason I left? I can't quite figure it out," I admitted, watching intently for any reaction I might get. I shrugged when there was none. "I'll just answer them anyway, maybe it'll help your brain process. Let's see... cocaine to the first question, unfortunately, I'm not high still, and oh, look at that!" I wore a wicked smile that seemed to catch him off guard. "My generosity ran out. That's all the answers I've got." 

Katsuki was so hard to read when he wanted to be. He had a mask that could rival Todoroki's. "You're a sick, little fuck, ya know that?" 

I snorted at the insult, pretending to remain unbothered. I'd asked for it after all. "I thought you were trying to be creative, Kacchan." 

"Don't fucking call me that," he snapped, and this time I knew he meant it. 

My attention was redirected as Mr. Aizawa walked into the classroom, nursing a cup of coffee. "This has been fun," I told the blond, standing from my desk. "Let's do it again, sometime, yeah?" And then I was walking to the door. 

"Mr. Midoriya, so kind of you to join us today," my teacher called out. "Take a seat." 

I faced him but continued backward towards the door. "I'd love to, but I've got about a million other things I'd rather be doing right now. Maybe tomorrow though?" 

I headed straight for the front door, shooting my mom a text as I went. 

Izuku~

I tried. 

I'd try again tomorrow. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday was a more successful run than Thursday had been. Katsuki was completely ignoring me, so it made my first hour much easier. I made it all the way to lunch without the threat of a breakdown. Uraraka was sending me encouraging messages all day, making me smile at my phone every time a new one came in. 

Which is what I had been doing at lunch when a carton of milk was spilled over my head. 

I had decided to sit at the same table I had the last time I was ignoring the bandmates. The social rejects at the table eyed me wearily once again, but stayed quiet. If I didn't bother them, they wouldn't bother me. 

I hadn't been expecting the cold liquid to cascade down, causing me to gasp and abruptly jump to my feet. I turned to locate the culprit, my heart falling when I saw Kaminari holding an empty carton and Sero standing next to him, both laughing obnoxiously at me.