23. Dead as Fuck

'Shut it now! I got 'em!' Nubbins picked me up with ease and had carried me up the hill back to the house, despite my desperate attempts to escape. I'd thrashed around, hit him, screamed as loud as my lungs could handle, but nothing worked. 'I got 'em!' They almost got away from me but I grabbed 'em and brought 'em back.' He tightened his grip around me and I yelped, pain radiating as he held on too tight. I dug my hands between my stomach and his arm, trying to wrench them apart but I achieved nothing but scratching his arm.

Cook sauntered out of the front door and eyed me up and down, before turning to Nubbins and saying 'Put 'em with the other.' Nubbins laughed as he carried me into the house, bones clattering beneath his feet, and a foul stench hit my nose. I couldn't tell what it was but it made me grimace. As we ventured deeper into the house, a sound started to hit my ears and I recognised it as screaming. Loud, piercing yelling that grew louder and louder.

Nubbins threw me to the ground in a small room near the back of the house and my head hit the floor hard, my vision going black for a couple of seconds before the room slowly materialised in front of me. A long, horizontal freezer was next to where I lay and counters lined the opposite wall. But across the room from me was the source of the screams and shouts, as Sam hung from a meat hook while Leatherface stood inspecting his chainsaw. The yellow of the handle was faded and had dark red blood stains splattered across it. He paid no attention to me, only carried on inspecting the chainsaw and the bucket that hung below Sam. Thankfully, Bubba blocked my view below Sam's torso, but from the steady drip drip into the bucket, I could take a good guess at what Sam was screaming about. 

'Please, why are you doing this? We didn't mean to trespass, we just wanted to know if you could help. Please let me go, I'll give you anything.' Sam begged and begged but was met with no response. Tears streamed down his face and he was choking on them as he pleaded with Bubba for his life. Bubba revved the chainsaw once, twice, and Sam started to flail around on the hook. 'No no! Please! Don't!' he choked out, and tears started to stream down my face as I saw the look of desperation on his face. As Bubba dug the chainsaw into Sam's torso, the screams filled the room and pierced my ears. I held my hands against my ears so hard I thought I'd crush my head, and pressed my head against the floor, my face now soaked in tears as I wished and wished for the screams to stop. 

My head was throbbing when I finally realised there was nothing but silence in the room. The screaming had stopped. I slowly raised my head and removed my hands, my entire body shaking uncontrollably. Sam hung from the meat hook still, unmoving and silent, blood dripping into the bucket below him like before, but now at a much quicker rate. His face was still stained with tears: two tracks that ran down his face and twinkled slightly in the sunlight from the small window beside him. Bubba had his back to me, his hands on his hips as he observed his handiwork. 

I jerked up, no longer lying on the floor, and turned to look out the door I'd been thrown through. It was open and the halls appeared empty, though I wasn't exactly sure of the layout of the house. I could try to run, I considered, but would I really make it through the whole house without encountering anyone else? It was worth a try. I'd formed my plan but I quickly disregarded it when I turned back around. My heart jumped out of my chest when I saw Bubba staring right at me, his head tilted slightly as he watched me, clearly interested in why I'd turned around. Neither of us moved. Both watching, daring the other. 

He was the first to move. Slowly he walked over to where I was sat, and kneeled down in front of me. I was shaking all over, even though he'd left his chainsaw at the other end of the room his strength greatly exceeded mine and I knew I wouldn't stand a chance if he struck me. But he didn't. He just knelt and looked at me, his breathing heavy as it always was. The sight of his mask up close unnerved me and I had the urge to twitch or jerk my arm, to shake off the uncomfortable feeling.

We stayed there for I don't know how long, every small sound sounding deafening in the silence of the room: Bubba's breathing, birds tweeting, grasshoppers in the long grass outside. I stayed on edge the entire time, terrified he'd lurch at me any second. But he never did. The only movement he made was his wide eyes blinking and his chest rising and falling with every breath.

Cook stepped into the room quietly behind me, his footsteps causing me to jump with every bang of his shoes. 

'What are you doing? Come on, we've gotta bring them to the table now. Everything's ready.' Bubba didn't move or acknowledge Cook at all. 'Did ya hear me? We haven't got time for this!' Still, nothing happened. 'Goddamn it!' Just then, Nubbins came bounding round the corner into the room, his footsteps heavy but less frequent than Cook's had been.

'What's happ'ning?' I saw Cook gesture to us out of the corner of my eye, and Nubbins burst out laughing. 'Goddamn, you're USELESS!' Bubba's eye twitched and his breathing became shallower and ragged. 'Here, I'll do it.' 

I heard rustling behind me but didn't dare move, but the sight of Bubba shaking his head desperately at Nubbins was the last thing I saw before pain exploded at the back of my head and everything went black.