31. Too Far Gone?

I lay, awake and still, in my bed, staring at the wall. At the red curtains gently blowing in front of the window. The window was open but I couldn't feel any breeze, even though the curtains flowed as if there was. I wasn't sure how long I'd been awake. Or how I'd ended up in my bed.

My stomach was burning with pain and the back of my skull felt as if a large crack was snaking down the middle of it. The house was completely quiet - deathly silent - like no life had ever stepped foot inside. 

I stretched my legs out beneath the duvet sheet and groaned quietly as a loud pop sounded from my hip. Knowing I couldn't stay in bed all day, I swung my legs over the side of the bed and got to my feet, swaying where I stood as my head swam. Waiting for it to pass, I stared at the curtains and listened to the quiet of the house expecting to hear something - but what, I wasn't sure.

The clock on the wall read 11.07, the dull sound of the second hand ticking fading as I walked through the hallway down the stairs. I felt in a daze, still not fully awake, until my feet hit the ice cold floor of the kitchen, shocking me to life like an electric pulse. I turned on the kettle and leaned on the counter, staring out the window but not really looking, as I thought about what to have for breakfast.

A movement caught my eye and I immediately focused my gaze, heart beating fast as the sudden sight startled me. I searched around the garden but found nothing, and relaxed a little. That is until suddenly a figure appeared in my eyesight. I don't know if they were there before or if they'd just appeared now. I didn't even know who it was. I strained my eyes and squinted desperately at the figure, when all of a sudden she came into focus and m heart dropped to my stomach.

Sarah was standing completely still, a statue, at the far end of the garden and was staring right at me. I panicked and my mind shut down, my body taking control and steering me towards the knives on the counter. I grabbed one and sprinted out the door into the garden, watching my body spin around in panic. She'd gone.

I lunged towards the bushes she'd been standing in and slashed the knife down into them, slicing branches and plant stems. My shoulder ached as I swung my arm again and again. My ears were ringing and my vision began to cloud.

Exhausted, I stepped back and dropped the knife to the ground, sweat burning in the sun on my forehead. I took a few deep breaths before finally focusing on the bush I'd destroyed: twigs and leaves were scattered around it and it looked as if a wild animal had savaged it. I looked up and saw in the corner of my eye another person. But this time it was just my neighbour I presume: a middle aged man I didn't recognise who was stood on the other side of the fence. He was staring at me incredulously, and I could sense a little fear emanating from him.

I wasn't sure what I could say in this situation, what would make him feel any better about what he'd just seen me do, so I silently looked away, retrieved the knife from the ground, and walked back into the house as quickly as I could.

I threw the knife into the sink, where it clattered loudly, and rushed back to the door to lock it as securely as I could. I then ran around the house frantically locking every window and door and triple checking them before moving on. After this, I pulled closed every blind and curtain I could, until the house was completely shrouded in darkness.

I snatched a bigger knife than the one lying in the sink and positioned myself on the sofa: bolt upright, a blanket on my lap to stop myself growing cold. I was shaking all over and couldn't stop, I thought I was losing my mind.

This is where I stayed the entire day, alert and terrified. I thought I heard knocking every once in a while on the front door - loud, urgent knocking - but I never opened it to check. 

6 hours passed. I hadn't moved. My stomach was aching from not eating and I had to fight to keep my eyes open. I was drifting of to sleep every couple of minutes even though it was only half 5. Determined not to fall asleep on the job, I slumped into the kitchen and turned on the kettle just I had this morning, but this time the sky outside the window was significantly darker, despite it not being nighttime yet. It wasn't even winter. I stood for a while listening to the whistle of the kettle and the silence of the rest of the house. It was very peaceful, I felt calm for the first time all day.

After brewing my drink, I began to walk back into the living room, carrying my mug with one shaky hand, when I was suddenly halted beside the sofa. The front door was wide open, a strong breeze blowing in through the gap.

The mug shattered on the ground, splattering my legs with hot coffee and sending shards of pottery everywhere. I sprinted toward the door and slammed it shut, spinning around and pinning my back against it as my chest heaved uncontrollably. My ears were ringing and my eyes darted panicked around the hall, terrified something was going to pop out at me. 

After a few minutes of nothing happening - and the only sound I could hear being my heavy breathing - I half-turned to lock the door again, constantly checking over my shoulder. I breathed a sigh of relief as the lock clicked into place and I let my shoulders fall back and untense. 

I turned around and a loud scream escaped my throat as the face Amy was mere inches away from mine. She didn't do or say anything, just stared at me, but I didn't wait to see if she was going to act out as I sprinted as fast I could to the living room to get my knife. But stood in the living room was the rest of the group; Sam by the window; Noah next to the TV; and Sarah in the far doorway - holding my knife.

I felt Amy shove me from behind and I stood dumbfounded in the middle of the room. They started to slowly creep towards me, Cheshire cat grins on their faces. Tears were streaming down my face and just as I opened my mouth to speak, they began to laugh - a screeching, cacophony that drilled into my mind. 

I shoved my hands over my ears and shook my head violently, shouting myself to block out the noise. I staggered around, pushed around by the group as they got closer and closer to me, trapping me like an animal. The noise was agonising and felt like someone was holding a hot poker to the inside of my skull.

The sharp, blinding pain in my stomach halted everything I was doing and I stood still, noticing the silence that had fallen over the group. I looked down to my stomach to see my knife buried deep into the folds of my shirt, blood quickly flowing down onto the hand of Sarah.

My sight went black for a second and I stepped backwards, my head suddenly feeling completely weightless. 

Once my eyesight adjusted again, and I could see the handle of the knife, I was surprised it was my own hand clutching it, blood staining the skin around it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey guys, I just wanted to apologise for the writing in this chapter. I feel like it isn't the best my writing has been and also there may be a few spelling and grammar errors, I've checked but I'm really ill right now and honestly a little delirious so yeah sorry just in case :)

also I kind of took inspo from the ending of Mulholland Drive for the ending of this, I'm sure it isn't copyrighted but... credit to David Lynch I guess