frostbite

"No, no," she said suddenly. "It was great. Um, thank you for inviting me out." She licked her lips. There he was, Izuku Midoriya, standing before her in the flesh. His face was slightly flushed like he was tired or something, but he looked relieved to see her.

"Thanks for having my back, back there," He smiled sheepishly. "They mean well, but they gang up on me from time to time out of protection. It was nice for someone to have my back."Before she could respond, he spoke again. "Listen, Ashido, do you have a second?" The cold was really getting to Midoriya. His cheeks, nose, and ears were painted a light red, and his teeth chattered when he talked. It was cute, in a way. She pursed her lips together and dusted some 

snow off her clothes.

"I mean, I was going to go down and say my goodbyes to the group, but..." she paused. The snow had let up, and the air was slightly warmer. "I suppose I could talk for a bit." She bit her lip. She didn't think anyone would come and find her, and she certainly did not consider the possibility of Midoriya running after her to check if she was okay. The thought was a little disquieting, but something inside her wanted him to stay.

"There's a bench by the door." She shrugged. The pair awkwardly trenched through the snow to the seat by the door. He gestured for Mina to sit first, and she did. Their knees slightly touched when the pair sat down, and Mina didn't hesitate to pull away.

"So," she said, clearing her throat. "Did you want to give the gloves back? Because I'm not letting you give them back to me." She was obviously teasing, and he let out a half-hearted laugh."Noted." He nodded. "But no, I actually wanted to check up on you." Uneasiness fell between the pair as Mina hugged herself. That familiar lump grew in her throat, and she turned away from the green-haired boy.

All anyone seemed to talk about was the god-forsaken party and the unfortunate scene she made. Every conversation she had with someone this week somehow had to reference it. She smiled through it and nodded as everyone told her she could open up to them. All Mina could think about was wanting to split her skull open, but she thanked them nonetheless.

"I've been trying to talk to you since the party," he started. Mina had a hunch. It was nice to finally have a reason for all those longing glances from him, even if it was not the reason she wanted.

"That's what this is all about?" She cut through. "Midoriya, you didn't have to do all this to talk to me." She threw her hands up in the air jokingly. There was a bit of a bite in her last words, and Midoriya's shoulders slumped.

"You didn't have to talk to me at all." She said it even softer. If she spoke anymore, she felt like she would unravel like a ball of yarn. She didn't want to have this conversation anymore; it would only end badly, and she couldn't have any more embarrassing moments with Midoriya. His trying to comfort her was the last thing she needed right now. Maybe he would catch the hint and lay off. But when she looked at the freckled boy, his big green eyes were full of worry.

"Ashido," Midoriya whispered. "Don't say that."

"Look, I've gotten this talk a hundred times this fucking week!" She snapped. He flinched from her harsh words. "Why are you doing this?! What are you going to tell me, huh?! I should open up more?! Midoriya, you don't even fucking know me! I'm not one of those troubled kids you want to save!" She yelled. His eyes widened, and he immediately looked down.

"Fuck," she sighed. "Midoriya, I didn't mean that." She honestly didn't. It was his turn to look uncomfortable, now inching away from Mina and staring at his shoes.

"No, you're right," he said softly. "This isn't my place." He stood up from the bench. He seemed smaller than before, more deflated. Looking at him made her heart sink right to her stomach.