8,9,10

Chapter 8

  Several weeks have passed since Cassie and I first met. It's now time for the honey festival. It's a small festival that our little town has once a year. There's small shops set up all around town, even a Ferris wheel!
  I make my way down the street looking for Cassie and Tommy. I smell the sweet aroma of all the delicious food being served. I look around at the laughter on the children's faces and the money that is being exchanged from hand to hand.
  Sometimes I question why me? I look at the positive things in my life, still yet I feel like it should be a little better. I see a small child run past me with a slice of pizza in his hand and can't help but wonder how someone could afford that. I've never even tried a slice of pizza. I stare as he bites down, he pulls the outer half away from his mouth as cheese stretches,trying to hang on for dear life. My stomach reminds me of how little I actually get to eat. I turn and walk away as if I couldn't bear the thought of the delicious morsel of food anymore.

  "Charlie!" Tommy yelled while grabbing my arm, trying to scare me.

  "Tommy! Why on the earth do you always do that to me?" I said with an excited voice.

  "Just messing with ya buddy." Tommy said.

  "Next week is my birthday are you gonna be able to come?" Tommy asked.

  "I don't know man, I'll try to make it." I said.

  I know he wants me to go to his party. I just feel left out, like I don't have anything in common with those people. Tommy has gotten anything he has ever wanted since he was born, he even told me last week he and his dad went to pick out a car!

  "Alright. It looks like you and Cassie are starting to develop feelings for each other." Tommy said out of nowhere.

  "W-well, she is a super nice girl." I said.

  "A nice girl! You practically fall apart when you see her Charlie! You like her."

  "Hey, let's walk over and check out the ax throw." I say hoping to change the subject. I start walking towards Mr. Porter, he's running the ax throw booth.

  The thing is, I do like Cassie, she's amazing but I'm the type of guy that folds under pressure. I've never felt like this about anyone in my life and I don't want to mess it up, she is so important to me.

  "We will talk about it later." Tommy said with a smile.

  "Hey, Mr. Porter, mind if we throw?" Tommy asked.

  "Not at all boys! Step right up. Ten cents for three throws, hit a bullseye and win a prize." Mr. Porter said.

  "No, I'm alright." I said with a disappointed voice.

  "Charlie, you told me you wanted to come over here." Tommy said with a confused look.

  "W-well I just wanted to watch. I hurt my shoulder the other day splitting wood for the winter." I said. Knowing I'd just told a lie, but the real reason was I didn't have ten cents.

  "Alright Mr. Calloway, do you have what it takes?" Mr. Porter asked with an almost comical voice.

  Tommy turned back toward Mr. Porter. "Oh I got what it takes."

  Tommy reaches and grabs the three axes that are laying on the bench in front of him. He pulls his arm back with a concentrated look on his face. Slam! The ax thrusts into the target.

  "Strike one Mr. Calloway!" Mr. Porter says with a cheerful voice.

  He pulls his arm back again. Slam!

  "Strike two Mr. Calloway!"

  Tommy looks as if he is tensing up. The veins in his arm are protruding out, his competitive nature is taking over. He pulls his last ax back. Slam! The ax buried itself in the target.