Choosing Fate .:14:.

Not wanting to hear anymore, Emerie started slamming her fists against the stone walls back to the original room and a gasp escaped her as the slab of wall parted and she fell forwards.

Catching herself on air, she watched the stone slab close up and ran off to her room. She forced herself to stay calm, closing the door with silence and immediately dived into her bed, curling up in the cold sheets.

Whimpering, she shut her eyes and desperately forced sleep upon her. And fortunately for her, it came.

Emerie was restless. She never bothered to go to breakfast.

She was too unnerved to face some of the Elders that came into the Academy to check on students; more importantly check on her. She frowned. This was Akorin Academy. Why were there so many Elders practically living here?

Shaking her head, she rolled out of bed and landed on the carpet, snuggling up to it.

“Emerie! Emerie open up!” The banging on the door gave Emerie a migraine so she forced herself up onto her feet and staggered to the door.

“What?” she snapped, opening it bleary-eyed.

Tamora stood in the doorway, blinking her silver eyes at the young black-haired girl in front of her. “The Time Guardians are requesting to see you. I’m only a messenger. Do you know where Darryl –”

“Where do they want to meet me?” she interjected sharply, narrowing her half-asleep black eyes.

“Well I – um the – uh – erm the Time Guardian Square.”

“Where’s that?” Emerie asked quickly, stripping down and changing into a pair of jeans and a hoodie.

“On the other side of the school just look for a sea of purple hair,” Tamora said with a scowl. “Any thanks?”

“Thanks,” Emerie said flatly, slamming her door shut and locked it before bolting down, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes.

Darting down the corridors, she flew into students and decided it would be easier if she used the Air even though it against the rules. She needed something to get her mind off things!

Bolting down the corridor, she skidded around the corner to the other side of the school and slammed into someone. “Sorry,” Emerie muttered, looking up at violet eyes. “Cian where’s the Time Guardian Square?”

He blinked. “I’m going now. You coming?”

She nodded with a shrug and slowed down her pace, relaxing and desperately trying to look the opposite of tense, agitated and frustrated.

“Are you OK?” Cian asked out of the blue.

“I’m fine,” she snapped, glaring at her brother. “Where is this place? They wanted to meet me and –”

“Ryker wanted me to work with you actually,” Cian said with a grin. “That’s what I was about to go down there for.”

“Oh.”

Emerie blinked, brow furrowing. “Are you sure that’s a good idea? After all I can probably beat you in everything once you teach me . . .” A sly smile lit up her face.

He snorted. “Keep thinking that Em. Let’s go.”

“Wait,” she said, her heart plummeting.

She clenched her clammy fists and squeezed her eyes shut.

“How do you know if I’m supposed to choose Time Guardians or not?” she whispered and for the first time, dreaded fear laced her tone. “What if I choose wrong?”