Chapter four

0.4

The end of the world

BRADEN THORNFIELD WAS GOING TO TEST RUN HIS TIME-TRAVEL MACHINE ONE LAST TIME BEFORE HE WAS TO ANNOUNCE HIS INVENTION TO THE WORLD.

It had been months of working on it and of course he wasn't going to release it to the public anytime soon, but that doesn't mean he won't let the public know about it- especially because his father was growing inpatient. He needed his son to have something ready, something better, always perfect to keep the Thornfield reputation on top.

The boy in question sat across from his father in the grand living room, a chest bored sitting between the two. 

It was the one normal thing Braden and his father did- and it was to play a bored game Braden Thornfield had no enjoyment of playing. He only went along with it because he didn't want to upset his father, let alone let him down.

"You know Braden if you just practiced more you could be the best player of a chest board game." His father voice shook Braden out of his daydream, he looked up at his father with a confused frown. "I could sign you up for classes next week. I know just the studio-"

"No."

Shit, had Braden said that out loud? With the way his father looked up at him with such authority Braden knew he fucked up.

Braden let out a breathy laugh, quickly trying to cover up his mistake. "Did I say 'no'? I meant to say... No I want to take classes earlier then that." Braden held in the urge to roll his eyes at himself, for he knew he sounded stupid.

His father gave him a hard long look- Braden gulped under his intense glaze- said man cleared his throat loudly before speaking, "Very well I'll see what I can do. Now your dismissed, go work on your time-travel machine."

Braden didn't need to told twice as he speed raced out of there.

:)

The last test.

That's what Braden told himself, looking at his time-travel machine. He looked down at his watch- 3:07 p.m- of 2001 November 11. Which means if his calculations were right- which they should be- he would to be sent a year into the future.

On November 11, 2002. No later, no earlier.

It's the furthest he's ever gone into the future. He's planned to go further when he is sure to be comfortable in his ability to do so. But right now it was to risky to do so, so he plans this would be his final jump before taking a break with it and working on it more.