Chapter six

0.6

Maybe I'm the problem

FIVE HARGREEVES HIGHLY DOUBTED BRADEN THORNFIELD WAS THE CAUSE OF THE END OF THE WORLD.

"... what makes you think your the cause of all of this?" Five straight up asked the boy across from him with a raised eyebrow, putting the news paper down by his side as he payed his full attention to Braden.

His green eyes piercing though Braden.

Braden hesitated, thinking over the possibilities of how to tell Five. But after a moment's thought he'd thought it'd be better to show him instead. He sighed heavily before putting his arm out in front of himself, his wrist making a show as Braden lifted his fingers in a cupping stance. He focused, taking a single glance at the curious boy in front of him before creating a bright green ball of energy just above his hand.

He held the green energy there for a couple of seconds too long before making it despair, a year and Braden has got a good hold of controlling his ability. He knows he's still got a long way to figure out the limits to his abilities but with due time he's sure he'd figure it out someday- somehow.

"Your like us?" Five's voice made Braden look at him again, his green eyes were slightly wide with surprise as he stared at Braden with a certain new glint in his eyes, his perception of Braden changing again. Five didn't know how many times it'd take to fully understand the hazel eyed boy but he kept an open mind- now.

"No I-" Braden cut himself off as he thought of the right words in which a way Five would understand, "- my time-travel machine broke down on me and sent me way into the future and in that process it also-"

"-gave you powers. The extreme amount of space jump in the calculations must have been overpowering." Five finished for him with a look of understanding. Braden paused, looking at Five like he was an alien for a moment before shaking his head.

"Your smart." Braden mumbled out to himself as he took the news paper from Five and set it down on the pail were the rest were. He moved to grab him some clean clothes as said boy watched him.

Five cleared his throat as his eyes turned away from the boy after a moment of staring, "Well coming from you that must be a big deal, right?" Braden didn't hear any criticism from Five's voice but his curious nature still got him to ask, "Why would it be a big deal coming from me?"

Five only answered when Braden turned back to him with a pail of clothing in his arms, "Because your a 'genius' as the news paper used to say. My father always made us read the news paper everyday to hear the criticism of others so we'd know what we needed to work on. You were on the news paper quite often- even after you went missing." Five said with a tired sigh escaping him, he rubbed his temple as he thought over their current situation.