What the cat dragged in

MJ POV

This is my wedding day. Again! And here I am again, sitting in a locked room at the back of our church, waiting to be married. Married to a man I have no desire to marry. Again!

Like the last time, my mother pours a ton of hairspray on my hairdo and fumbles the ugly white dress every ten seconds. As if this would make that thing any prettier. I let out a snort and for the first time in my life I crave for a bottle of whiskey to get very drunk in a very short amount of time. That's something I've learned from the guys. Drink your troubles away. Please god, send Izzy to save me!

"This should be the happiest day of my life, you know?" I say to my mother. It's really more for myself than it is her. She doesn't even look up at me. She's too busy fixing my outfit. Creating this disguise to cover up my so called flaws. Which means: I'm not a virgin. Not that I was when I stood in the exact spot a week ago. Like that old man would even notice.

"You should not be so selfish, Mary Josephine. This is not about your happiness. This is about god's will." My mother says mantra like. She would say anything my father would tell her. She's brainwashed just like all the other women here. Well not me. I knew what was outside of this town.

And I wanted it. I wanted Izzy.

"Yeah, sure. Like god told any of you to marry me off to that old fuck." I scoff and receive a hurtful pull on my hair for that. Ouch! Was it for my blasphemy or for cursing in a church house.

I can barely hold back the tears in my eyes. No, I'm not scared. I'm angry. Angry about how blind everyone here is and how the women are treated by the men. This is not the way I'm going to live. I can't do this anymore. Not after I tasted freedom. Not after being with Izzy. His bed was the only bed I ever wanted to take. The only name I wanted to take was his. To only him would I ever consent my body again.

"Yes. This looks perfect." My mother says, taking a final look at me in the mirror. "He will be very pleased with this." She looks at me with a hopeful nod.

I roll my eyes, wondering if I could just refuse to marry him and how they could make me. There is no way I'll ever say 'I do'. Over my dead body! And I do mean that quite literally. I will die before I marry that man and have his hands on me.

Opening the door, my mother turns back to me again. "Your brother will be right outside. Do not even think of leaving this room. Am I clear Mary Josephine?" My mother glares at me. There is no sign of compassion in her eyes.
I nod. Then she leaves me, seeming quite impressed by my compliance.

I stand in front of the mirror and stare at my reflection. Deja vu. The floor length white dress, the insane hairdo pinned back with flowers. I look like a happy bride, but all I want to do is cry. I AM NOT A HAPPY BRIDE. My hand flies to my mouth as I choke on a sob. Where are you Izzy? Why haven't you come for me?

There may be just a few minutes left and then I will be married to another man. Something within me shatters with the realization and a part of me dies. There is no one to rescue me. No one will prevent this wedding. This is really happening. I'm getting married.

I can think of nothing other than Izzy, remembering his handsome face, his black hair, his full lips so soft when they were caressing me and his hazel eyes. I will see him again one day. I must. I can't live without him.

Suddenly I hear glass shattering and jump in shock as the window slides open, a dark figure crawls into the room. All I can see is dark hair and black clothes. My heart skips a beat when I notice who's making his way into the room: Nikki! Oh thank you god! Someone found me.

With a few steps I cross the room and fly into his arms, sobbing uncontrollably.
"Oh Nikki...I knew someone would rescue me." I whisper, hugging him tightly.

"Hey, easy sweetheart. I'm not rescuing anyone here." He scoffs. "Just making sure that Don Juan doesn't get himself killed. Again." He politely peels me away from him and I turn to look.
That's when I see the second figure climbing through the window. Izzy!

Within a second I'm in his arms. My lips seize his.

"MJ" He whispers between kisses. "Please tell me we're not too late."

I stare at him for a second and snicker. Izzy frowns at me. I must look like a total lunatic. "What's so funny, honey?"

"You just called me by my real name."

"That's just as delightful as rainbows and lollypops and shit," Nikki snidely remarks, "But uhhhh, you think you could remove the bride from the premises please?" Nikki says listening through the door.

"What? What are you gonna do?"Izzy asks him.

Nikki looks over his shoulder to us and smirks. "I've always wanted to try my hand at another profession. Something special. Something noble. Like a preacher."

I can't help but giggle. Our preacher never wears black. Nor does he have tattoos or piercings. And he definitely doesn't wear makeup.

"This is no time to play Nikki," I hear Izzy saying.

I look at him and see a bead of sweat roll down his cheek. "Are you ok?" I ask him.

He sniffles and nods erratically. He looks like a monster is about to rip out of his skin. He seems really nervous and antsy. He looks like he's sick. A moment later he is grabbing a plant and throwing up into it. Dear God, is he ok?

"He refused to do any smack until he found you," Nikki enlightens me, "So she's found now. She's ok and shit. You need to get straight." He says to Izzy

"No,ý Izzy shakes his head and sits the plant back down. "I'm done with that shit. I'm fucking done with all of it. All I need is my girl," he says taking my hands in his. I feel them trembling. His skin is on fire.

"But Izzy...you're sick."

"It'll pass"he shrugs.

Nikki snorts, "Wait until the delirium sets in fucker, bet you change your mind then."

"No," he sniffles some more, "I won't."

Nikki shrugs with his smirk, "Whatever."

He crosses over to the mirror I have been staring in all day. He picks up my brush and starts to brush his crazy hair. With each stroke it gets flatter and straighter. By the time he lays my brush down he doesn't look so tall anymore. His hair had to have given him an extra two inches of height. It's so straight. So shiny. A woman would die for it.

Then he walks over to the sink and turns on some water. He lathers soap onto his hands and starts to rub it all over his face. He rinses it away and grabs a towel and wipes it briskly over his face. He leans into the sink and lowers the towel. I think my jaw hits the floor. Nikki looks completely different without his hair and make up.

"Nikki...wow," I can't help but say.

His beautiful eyes roll as he just gives me that smirk, but without the hair and makeup, it just doesn't look as menacing as it normally does.

"And all this time I thought for sure he had that shit tattooed on," Izzy snorts.

Nikki only folds his arms across his chest. "What's the matter Stradlin, jealous I still look better than you out of my makeup?"

Izzy just nods with a smile and throws his arm around my shoulder. I think he does it mostly to cling to me for support. His legs seem weak.

Nikki crosses over and stands directly in front of me. He gives me a small smile and glances at Izzy, "You mind Stradlin? I've always wanted to kiss a bride...just not my own."

Izzy shrugs and steps away.
Nikki's hands slowly rest at my hips as he stoops down and kisses me softly. His tongue, though tame, is still inside my mouth. This must be the only way Nikki knows how to kiss. But it's still very nice. Izzy must have felt Nikki was lingering a bit too long because he soon coughs and clears his throat.

Nikki backs away and smiles at me. "Get Stradlin back to LA, ok?"

"What are you going to do?" I ask him.

"Cause a distraction and buy you two a head start. So, go...and...keep an eye on Stradlin, he's not going to get better just yet. In fact it's going to get a lot worse."