Chapter 28

Today's volunteers had been abuzz with the news of Chief Jim Hopper's miraculous return from the dead. The story was he'd uncovered a terrorist plot and worked with the government to thwart the radicals. Starcourt Mall had been the unfortunate backdrop of the confrontation.

It was also unfortunate a surviving radical had recognized Hopper. Since Hopper had been in danger, he'd been put in a protection program until the threat had been eliminated.

Rumor had it he'd been involved in defeating the rest of these radicals, who had something to do with Hawkins National Laboratory.

You didn't bother to point out the specific government agency had been conveniently omitted. Same with the terrorist organization. Over sandwiches in the courtyard, Steve said Hawkins Lab had been closed for over a year when Starcourt's fire occurred.

Nevertheless, while there had been casualties at Starcourt, they'd been few. Everyone considered Hopper a local hero.

A few volunteers discussed Eddie, too. They felt sorry for him and insisted they'd never believed those ugly rumors. Eddie was an orphan who'd been taken in by his uncle Wayne. Wasn't that sad? Why, they'd known Wayne Munson for years! Wayne was an upright person. A veteran, too. There was no way he would've tolerated Devil-worship under his roof.

Those horrible classmates - bullies, really - must've targeted Eddie because he was different. Being different wasn't a crime! Besides, Eddie had never hurt anyone. He performed at The Hideout with his little band all the time. One volunteer knew The Hideout's owner, Cliff, who said Eddie was a good, if weird, kid.

You'd nodded and hummed in agreement while sorting donated home goods. There was no point in calling them hypocrites. Perhaps some of them weren't. You wished you'd gone to that town hall meeting with your parents. Then you'd be able to pick out the liars.

On the way home in Steve's car, Robin turned in the front seat to face you.

"You know, people want to be on the winning side. They like to think of themselves as smart enough to know who's telling the truth."

"But they were blinded by fear," you said in agreement. "And looking for someone to blame."

Steve said, "Like the pilgrims burning all the witches in Salem."

You and Robin shared a look. He was close enough.

"Yup," she said.

He appeared proud to have contributed to the conversation.

Robin rested her chin on her forearm.

"Eddie's lucky you found him before anyone else."

"Outside of the military, yeah, I guess." You offered a bitter grin. "Who knows what they would've done to him if he'd survived Vecna."

Though you don't think he would have. Most likely, he would've dropped dead with the rest of the hivemind. If you hadn't died from taking part of Vecna's curse earlier, you might've shared that fate.

Steve said, "God, I'm so glad that fuckface's dead."

"Me too."

"Me three," Robin said with a grin.

Once at Steve's, you three talked about dinner. Steve had pulled everything this morning to make a pan of baked ziti with roasted broccoli on the side. Robin made a disgusted face at the mention of a vegetable. You laughed at her scrunched nose and tongue poking out. Robin exclaimed eating broccoli was like eating green farts while Steve opened the front door.

Classical music played from the sunroom's stereo system.

"Hey, Munson," Steve said, projecting his voice as he tossed his keys into the bowl on the foyer table.