Chapter Eighteen

"Do you know a Chrissy Cunningham?" your father asked, filling his mug at the kitchen counter.

You paused in the doorway with a frown. The kitchen TV was off. Mom buttered toast instead of making pancakes or waffles for breakfast.

"Yeah...?" You glanced at the calendar to confirm it was Sunday. "We have Western Lit together."

Mom set a plate of crispy bacon at the center of the table before fetching a section of the newspaper. She brought it to you, a furrow of worry between her brows. You took the section to read:

CHEERLEADER MURDERED IN COLD BLOOD

A Hawkins High cheerleader was heinously murdered on Friday night by parties unknown.

Christina "Chrissy" Elizabeth Cunningham, 17, class of 1986, suffered from fatal internal bleeding and multiple bone fractures in a trailer in the Forest Hills neighborhood of Hawkins, according to reports.

There were no witnesses to the crime. However, the trailer owner has been cleared of any wrongdoing.

"There is an evil here," said Laura Cunningham, the victim's mother. "It's been growing and infiltrating this good Christian town."

The cheerleader had been beloved by teacher and student alike. Her father, Phillip Cunningham, said, "There was no reason for anyone to hurt our little girl. Chrissy was a sweet girl with a bright future."

Neighbors in Forest Hills are horrified. A resident who wished to remain anonymous said, "It's that heavy metal garbage. It opens the gates for Satan. [It's] real scary [stuff]. Kids these days blast it all hours of the day and night. That's got to have consequences."

Responding officers have yet to locate the perpetrators.

"Deputies are working with state law enforcement to collect evidence and statements concerning this case," the Roane County Sheriff's Department said.

Cunningham was well known in her community and had a kind word for everyone. She volunteered at First Church of Hawkins and the Roane County Animal CARE Humane Society. As head of the Hawkins High Cheer Squad, she always participated in school fundraisers.

Hawkins High principal, Paul Higgins, called Cunningham an "exemplary student and person," and said her murder was a tragedy. "I think I speak for my staff and our pupils when I say Chrissy will be deeply mourned. Our hearts are with her family."

Hawkins High will hold a memorial assembly when classes resume March 31st.

Forest Hills' sign has been piled with flowers and other mementos since the murder.

A Hawkins High student said Cunningham was "a tender-hearted girl and the most supportive friend anyone could ask for."

If you have any information which can help the case, please contact the Roane County Sheriff's Department.

Your mouth went gummy as you finished reading. Now that Chrissy's murder was in the paper and on the news, everyone would be scrutinizing the residents of the trailer park. The mention of heavy metal wouldn't work in Eddie's favor, either.

You'd called the Munson's trailer earlier, but the call wouldn't go through.

Mom stepped aside as you shuffled to the kitchen table. You flopped into the first chair you came to and skimmed the article. Chrissy Cunningham, a shoo-in for prom queen, died at Eddie's place while Wayne was at work. It had been just the two of them.

What had she been doing there? Buying drugs? The cheerleader who volunteered at church buying drugs?

You looked at the grainy version of Chrissy's senior-year portrait and questioned if anyone had known her at all.