Chapter Five

After stopping at the convenience store that stocked Djarums to buy cigarettes, snacks, and drinks, Eddie kept you entertained and fueled. He regaled you with the plot of his latest D&D campaign, though he hadn't written an ending. He had to have contingency plans for any option his players chose. You agreed that every choice must have an obstacle or risk - or the campaign wouldn't be exciting.

He explained the newest sheep to join Hellfire: Henderson, Wheeler, and Sinclair. Henderson was a pain in his ass and too smart for his own good. You threw Eddie a pointed look, because that meant Henderson was clever enough to foil simple traps. Eddie sighed, rolling his eyes in concession.

Wheeler was a string-bean of a guy who had insight and an infuriating amount of luck. Eddie held his hands in front of himself as if to choke someone. You bit your lip to suppress a grin as you watched the road.

"What?" Eddie asked, getting a cigarette from the shared pack of Djarums and pushing at the dashboard's lighter.

Keeping your voice light, you said, "Nothing."

He snorted. "Look, you'd be pissed too if the little shits screwed your whole subplot."

"Probably."

"And don't get me started on Sinclair."

"Why not?" you asked. "We're not even at the state line yet."

"Sinclair is a sneaky little-" He growled and cracked the window. "His heart's not in it, though. He'd be great if he wasn't so hung up on stupid shit."

"What stupid shit?"

Eddie jammed the cigarette between his lips just as the lighter handle popped. He put the lighter to the cigarette and took a few puffs.

"He doesn't want to be a 'freak' like the rest of Hellfire."

'The rest of Hellfire,' of course, meant Eddie himself.

You said, "It takes guts to be different."

"The kid's got guts, trust me. Bravery." He angled in his seat, head close to the window. The wind ruffled his hair. "It's admirable, but..." He breathed smoke out of his nose, reminding you of a dragon. "He's only sticking around for his friends."

"Henderson and Wheeler?"

"Yeah, package deal."

"Then let him go."

He grunted.

You continued, "Circumstances change everything. I used to have a circle of friends before I moved here, you know. Just..." You sighed. "Now that I'm out of sight, I'm out of mind." You gave Eddie a wry look. "I'm this oddity at Hawkins - with a few acquaintances."

Eddie drank from his Mountain Dew before saying, "Not only acquaintances."

You grinned and smoothed your hair behind your ear.

"No, not only acquaintances, I guess."

You took a drink of your melting Icee. Then an idea came to you:

"You know, I could join Hellfire?" you said. "Then there'd be no pressure for Sinclair to stay if he didn't want to."

"Absolutely not."

"What?" you asked, disappointed and deep down a little hurt.

You thought he'd said persons of quality were invited to join the Hellfire Club. You were a person of quality. At least you were familiar with D&D.

"You cannot be associated with the freaks. Nope."

"Why not?"

"I don't want you to face that kinda social bullshit."