Chapter Twenty-Three: Smirks

Magic was a gift—a gift meant to be cherished. A day never went by that Rose wasn't thankful for magic. She was especially thankful for her wand. 9 1/8 inches. Made from Acacia wood with unicorn hair as the core. Rose loved her wand dearly. As soon as Mr. Ollivander set the wand in her hands it was meant to be. From that day on she treated it with great care, polishing it regularly. 

Despite the affection she held for the wand, Rose was ready to snap it in two, as it blared ending her dreamless sleep.

Rose whined, wishing desperately for a few more minutes of sleep and fighting the urge to let her eyes succumb to the alluring call of sleep. On normal mornings, Rose was up and off to work the second an alarm went off. The day after getting splinched and nearly crushed by a beam, she deserved a few more minutes of sleep. 

Rose flicked the wand, effectively quieting its shrieking. Tugging the blankets, she relished in the next few minutes before the alarm sounded again and she could no longer make excuses to stay in bed. 

Her joints screamed in protest, as she slowly stretched her stiff limbs while surveying the room. The briefcase holding the evidence was gone. Her camera sat snuggly on the chair, where Scorpius must have left it when he ducked in and brought the briefcase down for Uncle Harry. She could only hope her Uncle was still here. He'd probably yell at her, then hug her. She could do with one of Uncle Harry's hugs. 

Quickly, Rose dressed in a loose t-shirt that easily got around the sling and her last pair of clean shorts. She'd need to remind Scorpius it was his turn to do the laundry. 

Painstakingly, she made her way downstairs, using the railing for support. Upon seeing the empty living room, she moved to the kitchen, pleasantly surprised to find an array of fruit lined appealingly on the counter. Arranged by color there were strawberries, raspberries, oranges, green grapes and apples, blueberries, and a peculiar fruit shaped like a star. 

Scorpius stood at the stove, whistling a happy tune, while flipping crackling bacon. "Oh, you're up. Fancy a cup of coffee?"

"Is that even a question?"

Scorpius handed her a steaming mug of coffee. The creamy smell of caramel sent a small whimper coursing through her lips. 

She gripped the cup like it was the most precious thing in the world and took a sip. "Where is my Uncle?"

"He left," Scorpius slid the crispy bacon onto a silicone plate. "He was here at dawn and left a couple of hours ago."

"I was hoping to see him," Rose disclosed disappointingly. 

"He wanted to see you too. He didn't have time to hang around though and we wanted to let you rest after yesterday."

"You both are making way too big a deal out of this. I'm fine." She lifted her casted arm, ignoring the creaking, "I don't even need this blasted thing!"

"Is that why you're making that constipated face?"

"I do not look constipated!"

"Whatever you say, Weasley."

With no smart comeback, she chose not to answer and began fixing a plate assorted with a variety of fruit. 

"You only have to wear that sling for a few days," Scorpius said, adding pieces of bacon to her plate, as she sat at the small table. "Don't rush the healing process. You'll end up hurting yourself more."

"You sound like my Mother." She grumbled, sinking her teeth into a juicy strawberry. 

"Another person I'm sure you never listen to."