Chapter 3: Go n' Get Out

Little did I know that the peace wouldn't last very long because after only a few minutes of relaxation, it was eight o'clock, which was the time my dad would usually come to wake me up. And that's exactly what happened.

While my eyes were shut, my dad walked into my room and announced, "It's time to get up, sleepy head!"

"I'm already up dad," I said, sitting up on my bed and opening my eyes. "I have been up since seven."

"So you're just relaxing instead of doing your chores early?"

"No dad. I already did them. You can check the kitchen table to see that the produce and eggs are there, and-"

''Enough," he interrupted. "I believe you, but you are not done with your chores just yet. I need you to go and pick up some shoe polish and a three by four roll of leather at the store."

"Oh, I forgot about that." I said, disappointed that I wasn't done yet.

"This should be enough to cover everything," he said as he handed some coins to me. "I want you to come right back home after you're done."

I took them out of his hands and stood up. When he saw me, he had an angry and confused look on his face.

"What are you wearing?"

"Uhh," I responded, looking down at myself. "Clothes?"

"Lindsay, put something else on. Ladies like you wear dresses, not pants and shirts. I have told you a thousand times to not put that outfit on."

Before I answered, I hesitated.

"Yes, dad," I sighed.

My dad left the room, shutting the door behind as he said, "Now change before you go."

So I did as I was told and changed into an ugly dress that was gray and full of lace. Instead of putting my boots back on, I put on some black dress shoes that of course, my dad made. I looked at myself in the large mirror on my closet door. "This isn't who I am." I thought, staring at myself. "I hate wearing this, but I have to do what my dad tells me. I don't want him to be angry." I left my room with the coins in my hand. Outside the door, my dad was standing there waiting.

"That's much better."

As I started to walk down the staircase, he noticed the unhappy look on my face.

"One more thing before you go. You know I am just trying to do what is best for you. I want you to be safe. I love you."

"I love you too dad."

I continued down the stairs and went out the front door, heading to town to get the items for my dad.

After winding down many different streets to get to town, I finally arrived at the brown brick building I was looking for. On the front was a sign that said, "Go n' Get Out" which is definitely a strange name for a store. Inside, there was almost anything you could think of. You could buy clothes, jewelry, parchment, soap, hairbrushes, and much more. The only other person in there was an old lady with skinny lens glasses at the cashier's counter in the very back of the shop. She didn't look happy though, almost like she just wanted to be left alone. Maybe that's why the store is called, "Go n' Get Out".

I walked to the front of the store and grabbed a big tub of shoe polish that was on the counter. I also needed some leather too, so I politely asked the lady, "Excuse me, can I please get some leather?"

"What size?" she snapped.

"Three by four."

There was silence for a minute, until the lady asked impatiently, "Well aren't you going to cut it?"

"Aren't you supposed to do that? The leather roll is behind the counter. I'm not allowed to go back there."

She crossed her arms and groaned at me, clearly annoyed, but cut it just like I needed. Handing it to me, she told me the total and I gave her the money. Realizing that I had some extra. I wondered what I was going to spend it on. I quickly took my stuff, leaving before she could snap at me again.

Outside the store, to my surprise, I saw my best friend Kathleen standing near the door. She was in a purple dress that complimented her green eyes. Kathleen is my best friend in the whole world, (and also my only friend). We have known each other since the first day of school at recess when we were five. Even though she is my best friend, I have never told her about my dream to become a royal knight. I've tried, but I always stopped because I was afraid of what she would think of it.

"Hi Lindsay!" she greeted, smiling. "I didn't know that you were going to be here! I was just taking a rest during my walk." Then she saw that I looked rather unhappy. "What's got you down today? Let me guess, it's the dress."

I nodded. "I just don't feel like myself in it."

"I know that, but your dad is just trying to do what's best for you."

"Yeah, yeah, I have heard that a thousand times. I just want to be able to be myself though and do what I think is best for me." Saying that, I had an idea on how to use the rest of the money.

"How about we go get some tea?"

"Uhh, won't your dad be upset if you don't come home right away?" Kathleen asked.

"Nah," I said, disagreeing with her. "He said to come home when I'm done, but he didn't specify what I had to be done with. Besides, we can finally have some actual fun for once, do what I decide."

"Okay," she said, with worry in her voice.