Chapter 4: Spilling the Tea

The two of us started to make our way to the tea shop that was cleverly named: "Tea-riffic Tea". The problem though is that it was all the way on the other side of the kingdom. The two of us weaved through the crowded streets and the square where the town crier was making his announcements for the day. While we were walking through the main part of town, I curiously looked around at the different shops we passed by. I surveyed the stores as Kathleen continuously mumbled things under her breath, talking to herself about how this wasn't a very good idea.

After what seemed like forever, Kathleen and I finally arrived. Inside the quaint shop, it had a very calming yet charming ambiance. Black brick walls with some potted greenery in front, making the place a bit lively, along with the soft yellow lighting above us, illuminating from little candle chandeliers. The sound of people whispering and tea cups clinking together could be heard around us. There were only a few tables inside and most of them were empty.

"I'll go get the tea, while you find us somewhere to sit," I told Kathleen.

"Okay," she answered, seeming to be a little more excited.

Kathleen sat down at one of the unoccupied tables near the entrance, while I went up to the front to get some tea. Working at the wooden counter was an older man with a tuft of white hair on top of his head. It wouldn't be hard to decide what to order. They only served plain tea or tea with cream in it. Pretty slim pickings for the only tea shop in town.

"Hello sir! May I please order two teas with cream?"

"Sure thing!" he responded.

As he poured the steaming tea into two cups, he said, "You know, back when I was young like you, everyone used to call me Old Man Jenkins because I acted like I was old, and now here I am."

"Is your name actually Jenkins?"

"Sure is."

This man sure was a lot nicer than the lady from earlier. I enjoyed him telling stories as he poured the tea. When he finished, he handed me two simple teacups. I paid him with the last few coins I had, leaving only one left that I put back into my pocket. I took the cups, and went to Kathleen. When I sat down, I took a sip of the nice, piping hot tea. As I did, I thought about something that had been on my mind for years, trapped inside my head, waiting to be set free. "Maybe it would be a good time to tell her." I nervously started tapping the tea cup over and over, feeling the warmth of it.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

I gathered up all the courage I could and finally stammered, "I know I haven't ever told you this, but I have a dream to one day-" I paused, regretting it.

"To one day do what?"

"To...become a royal knight."

I winced at the thought of what she would say.

"I hope you can understand, because, you know, I'm kind of different from other girls in this kingdom."

First, she appeared shocked, but then she sighed, looking relieved.

"Of course I understand and respect your dream," she said. "You are the most confident and courageous person I've ever met in my life. It's because of who you are, I think you'd make a great knight."

"Thank you Kathleen. Your encouraging words are exactly what I needed to hear."

Then suddenly Kathleen's expression turned to that of confusion.

"But what I don't understand is why didn't you tell me sooner? Does your dad know about this?"

"Well, I tried to tell you, many times, but I just couldn't do it. I thought that you would think I was crazy. You're the only person I have ever told. Other people would probably just laugh at me. My dad, on the other hand, who I know is just trying to keep me safe, would never approve."

She nodded as she said, "I know, because everyone says that being a knight is only for boys."

"I don't care though," I argued, almost knocking my tea over. "We shouldn't be limited to what we can like and do. If the world could just see that."

"You know," Kathleen started to suggest something as she took a drink of her tea. "There's going to be a special event at the castle that will be held next year on the twenty fourth of June to sign up to become a knight. If you had told me sooner, you would have had enough time to sign up earlier this year, but you missed it. At least you can try next year."

"Yeah," I agreed, thinking in my head about how the event would be on my sixteenth birthday. "That would be one way to do it, but my dad and the laws of the kingdom would never allow me to go to something like that."

"Well, if you want to be a knight, you have to be brave. You can't be a chicken," she said with a smirk on her face.

"I am not a chicken!"

"I'm just saying you should tell your dad the truth if you want to make your dream come true. If you told him, maybe he would understand and want to help you. And if you really aren't a chicken, then prove it. I dare you to run through the creepy graveyard."

I stood up and grabbed the leather and shoe polish from earlier. "Let's go!"

"But I was just kidding!" Kathleen exclaimed as I grabbed her arm, yanked her out of her seat, and pulled her straight out of the cafe, on our way to the cemetery.