Chapter 33: To Save, to Fake

After we made our way through the castle, we pushed our way through the main doors. We never imagined what we were going to see. The air was filled with clouds of smoke that came from roaring fires. Everything seemed to be ablaze. Innocent people's homes were burning as they cried in fear. Duke must have gathered his own soldiers and they were burning the town down. Now they were waiting for us to fight as the kingdom burned, falling in front of our eyes.

We advanced out of the castle gates, entering the chaos. The townspeople were fleeing their burning houses and trying to get somewhere safe. People from the kingdom were running towards the castle to escape the smoke and danger. One of those people in the crowd looked very familiar to me. When they got closer, I could see it was my best friend.

"Kathleen?" I called, stopping in my tracks when I saw her.

"Lindsay!?" she exclaimed, suddenly turning to see me with a look of fear and shock on her face.

She changed her path and ran up to me, wrapping me in an embrace when she got up close. Her expression changed to relief.

"Oh, I've missed you so much!" she exclaimed happily. "I thought I'd never see you again!"

"I've missed you too," I said, pulling away from her.

"I got your letter! I can't believe you are an actual knight in training!" she said, first looking at me, then around her. "But, what is happening? Is everything okay?"

I gave her a short summary of how Duke wanted to be King and take over the kingdom then quickly introduced her to my new friends from the castle before I explained, "We have to stop him before it's too late, but we need more help. There are too many soldiers with more experience ready to fight us. The more people we have on our side, the better chance we have at winning."

"I'd be happy to help," she responded with no hesitation, but still looking worried. "Anything to protect this kingdom from harm and to help out my best friend."

"Great. Welcome to the team."

I turned to face the group quietly standing around me who seemed to be waiting for me to explain the plan and lead the way.

"Alright, we have a battle to fight and we can't lose! It may be a difficult fight and we may be outnumbered, but we can win."

I started pointing at each person and giving directions to let them know their role in how we would end what Duke had started.

"Blake and Kathleen! Use the smoke bombs to make sure Duke's soldiers can't see. When they're distracted, disarm them. Owen and Elijah! Go after anyone who escapes the smoke bomb cloud and hold them back. Elisia! Use your water powers to put out the fires and then if you can, help the others take out Duke's knights. Dusk and Dawn! Make sure the King is safe. Warn him of Duke and the poison. Now everyone, GO!"

Everyone in their respective groups charged to their positions when I shouted.

An epic battle soon commenced with a smoke cloud that erupted and engulfed the air, followed by the unmistakable sound of metal striking metal.

"And you my friend," I said to Rany, taking him off my shoulder. "Just be yourself."

He nodded his little head excitedly as he soared into the sky and into the crowd, using his sharp teeth and fiery breath to fend off the soldiers.

"Wait, what am I supposed to do?" Xavier asked, still standing next to me.

"You get to come with me. We have to take care of Duke. That traitor."

I quickly tossed him an extra sword I had taken from the training room, giving it to him just in case he needed one. Then we started running.

Angrily running through the giant groups of people fighting or fleeing, we looked everywhere for Duke. "Where are you!?" I wondered. He had to be hiding. We looked high and low until we came upon a smoldering house and stopped. "No!" I thought when I realized where I was.