Chapter 34: So Much to Lose

It was like we were fighting against a giant that day. Even when we tried our very hardest, we were no match for Duke. As soon as the battle began, it became a duel between Duke and I. Our swords crashed against each other, but with each strike of the metal, I was falling short. He was much stronger than me and every blow from his sword knocked me backwards, onto the ground. It was not long before I felt defeated, out of breath and struggling to stay on my feet, but I still tried to fight back. A few moments into the battle, our swords soon met again.

Duke let out a sinister laugh as the swords inched dangerously close to my terrified face. "Tired already? Just give up."

"Never," I stammered, using all of the strength in me to push the swords away and back at him.

"You never know when to quit, do you?" he said mockingly, effortlessly forcing the blades in my direction again, looking like it took no effort at all.

Just then, he swiftly shoved his sword upwards, making mine fly out of my hand. The sword twisted and turned high in the air before falling into the dirt nearby, just out of my reach. He used that opportunity to forcefully shove me to the ground. I looked up to see him hovering over me, giving me that same evil smile.

"Looks like you should reconsider your answer," he said, pointing the tip of the blade at my face. "After all, you have nothing to fight with."

As he spoke, out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Xavier stealthily making his way towards Duke from behind. Just inches away from him, he stopped. Xavier raised his sword high above his head, about to strike.

"Did you forget?" I interrupted. "I am not alone."

His eyes widened when he remembered that I was not the only one there. Right when Xavier was about to attack, Duke suddenly swung around with his incredible strength and blocked the sword with his own.

While Duke was distracted by Xavier, I quickly ran and grabbed my sword, prepared to fight again. The clanging and banging of metal ensued. As they battled, they started slowly moving. With each back and forth motion, they became closer and closer to a nearby cliff. When they finally realized what had happened, Duke was on the verge of falling off. To save himself, he charged right at Xavier, knocking him backwards with tremendous force.

Taking the cue that he desperately needed my help. I immediately sprinted towards Duke, but he always seemed to be one step ahead of me. He turned and scowled at me, lifting up his leg and kicking me as hard as he could. The impact made me fly back so fast I had no time to react, and I crashed straight into a massive tree. Duke's kick was so strong that even my armor couldn't protect me from what just happened.

"Are you okay!?" Xavier frantically asked, running over to me and kneeling down as I sat on the cold hard ground, leaning up against the tree.

"Yeah," I groaned in pain, trying to pretend I was all right.

Duke leisurely made his way over to us, as an evil smile spread across his face.

Towering over us, he said, "Well, well, well. Looks like it's just the prince and the damsel in distress. It's time to give up. Just look around you."

I struggled to slowly turn around. Behind me, I saw the smoldering buildings and innocent people who were injured, including my friends, hurt from the fight I brought down upon them.

"No," I cried out with tears in my eyes, turning back to Duke. "What have I done?"

He laughed once again.

"If you were never here, this wouldn't have happened. Know your place in life. It isn't here. Girls should be cleaning houses or cooking food, not becoming knights who fight and protect."

Enraged at the words coming out of his mouth, it gave me the strength to get back up. Through my pain, I said everything I had been holding back for years.

"You are wrong! My place is here! You have no right to decide what people can and cannot do just because you're a man! I will not give up! I am meant to fight for the people! For the kingdom!"

"Hmm...Even after all this, you still didn't change your mind?"

"And she never will," Xavier shouted as he stood up, angering Duke with his words. "She will always keep on fighting for everything and everyone she cares about."

When he said that, Duke's eyes suddenly widened, as an idea formed in his mind.

"Let's raise the stakes a bit then, shall we Lindsay? If you think that you're so strong and brave," he started looking at me. "Then it'll just be you and me. One on one. If you refuse, then say goodbye to your friend."

He pointed the long edge of his sharp steel sword out, barely grazing Xavier's neck.

"Don't worry about me!" he cried, the blade moving closer. "I'll be okay! You don't have to do this!

I took a deep breath, knowing what the answer had to be. Even though I was hurt, I had to try to protect my friend and fight for the kingdom.

"I'll do it," I sighed, knowing this was going to be the hardest thing I had ever done.

Duke smirked, moving his sword away from Xavier. I looked at Xavier's sad expression and into his sorrow filled hazel eyes, knowing what he was thinking.

"I can't afford to lose you Xavier. And if I don't fight, then our kingdom will crumble and be controlled by the hands of evil. It's my job to end this once and for all and bring peace back to Supiria. This is my fight and I have to be the one to finish it, even if it finishes me."