chapter nine, sweet nothing

Lyla ran and ran, from nothing. She heard steps slamming into the puddles of rain behind her.

"Lyla stop!" She ignored, focusing on getting a way home.

"Gibsie just go!" Lyla whipped her head around, "I'm sorry! But I can't do this right now."

Gibsie nodded, clicking his tongue in anger, glaring at her figure.

He began to walk away, Lyla walked the other way, angrily.

Lyla sniffled, trying not to cry as she stormed away in the midst of a storm.

She eventually made her way to the nearest bus stop, she reached up and wiped her eyes with her sleeve, sniffling loudly.

She boarded the bus, sitting in a pile of sopping wet clothes. Her shirt and leggings were drenched with water.

She eventually made it to the bus stop near her house. Lyla carried her wet backpack on her shoulder, her damp hair sticking to her cold face.

She finally made it back to her house, almost bursting into tears when she made it inside.

Shannon came running down the stairs at the noise, gasping at the sight of a soaked Lyla.

"Oh my god!" Shannon runs up to her, Lyla just stood there quietly, shivering.

"I don't wanna talk about it." Lyla said quietly, walking past Shannon.

"Lyla?" Shannon asked quietly at Lyla's retreating figure.

Lyla looked back impatiently, Shannon smiled like she wanted something.

"You're coming to a party at Claire's tonight with me." Shannon shrugged.

Lyla immediately thought back to her conversation with Claire, and grimaced. "No thanks."

Shannon gave her puppy dog eyes, "Please, I don't wanna be alone."

Lyla was about to say no again, but upon seeing Shannon's hopeful face, she reluctantly nodded.

"It's at eight, just wear something cute!" Shannon giggled and pranced off. Lyla stormed up the stairs, slamming her door behind her.

She took a nap, too angry to process what had happened.

Lyla woke up and her room was dark, she heard a quiet knock.

Shannon let herself in, rolling her eyes noticing Lyla had just woken up.

"Lyla! You need to get ready. It's almost seven." Shannon sighed going over to Lyla's small closet.

Lyla grabbed one of her only nice dresses, it was a dark mauve, and it fell to her lower thigh. She applied a small amount of mascara, she felt semi satisfied with her appearance.

Shannon barged in while Lyla was sitting on her bed. Lyla just sat there, struggling to stay awake.

Shannon was wearing a baby blue dress, it fell around her knees. Lyla and Shannon shared very similar looks, they weren't identical, but very similar.

While Shannon had big blue eyes, Lyla had green. Shannon's lips were a rosy pink, while Lyla's were a light red.

The two snuck out of the house, avoiding their father.

Johnny pulled up to the corner. Shannon waved with a bright smile. Lyla stood behind her sister awkwardly.

Lyla climbed into the back of his car, giving a quiet hi.

Shannon and Johnny talked most of the way, Lyla giving in a few of her opinions.

Johnny glanced back at Lyla, "Gibsie will be there."

Lyla shrugged, "That's too bad."

Johnny furrowed his brows, "Why?"

"Because he's a fucking asshole." Lyla said angrily.

Shannon gasped, "Lyla!"

Lyla rolled her eyes, returning her gaze to her book.

They eventually pulled up outside of the Biggs, Lyla sucked in a deep breath.

The three walked up to the huge house, Johnny barged in without knocking.

Claire rushed up to them with a flirty smile, "Hey Johnny!" She smiled.

"Hey Lyla." She said with a tight smile, glancing Lyla up and down.

"Claire." Lyla smirked back cockily, pushing past her.

Lyla sat down on the couch, not wanting to be there anymore.

Lyla saw Gibsie talking to Claire from across the room, she rolled her eyes, while getting up and grabbing a red cup of whatever was in the keg.

She took a large gulp, smiling at the burning sensation.

Lyla talked quietly with the people around her. She felt her stomach turn when Claire demanded they played spin the bottle.

Lyla gasped when she felt a large body press against her. Johnny had pushed Gibsie into Lyla. Lyla gave him a look that screamed "i want to kill you."

Gibsie just glanced at Lyla with an angry expression, Lyla shooting one back.

"Let's okay spin the bottle guys!" Claire yelled her voice way higher than usual.

Everyone seemed to roll their eyes, but Claire just let out a loud giggle.

Lyla sat next to Gibsie, and Shannon was on her other side.

Katie spun first, the bottle landed on Hughie. They both smiled and kissed eachother.

Next was Claire's turn, she loudly groaned when the bottle landed on Patrick.

It was Lylas turn to spin, and she anxiously watched the bottle as it spun around.

The bottle slowly stopped spinning, Lyla prayed it wouldn't land on a certain person. She glanced up slowly, cursing when she met the blue eyes she was all too used to.

Before she could decline, Gibsie's arm had pulled Lyla forward by the waist.

She gasped when he placed his lips gently on hers.

Lyla kissed him back passionately. He deepened the kiss.

As much as Lyla could say she wanted to shove him off, she really didn't. His lips just felt so nice against hers.

Lyla's mouth widened when she eventually pulled back.

"That was something." Johnny broke the silence between them.

Lyla gave Gibsie one last glance, before getting up from her spot. She walked and walked, until she felt the cool air against her.